Hi from Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dongo

Regular
Hi,

Had been cycling a little with the kids, nothing too far or too hard. But as I approached 40 (both age and waist) I decided it was time to lower my fatness and raise my fitness.

So I took up running and now regularly manage 10k, I'm 4 stone lighter and feel lots better but it's still a big effort to drag myself out of the house to run. I need a new challenge to mix things up a bit.

So bought a road bike and have recently started cycling up and down the hills in the south of Leeds (which to me seem like mountains right now). I'm working up to a 50 mile round trip and have currently got to 23, I can average about 13mph, no idea if that's good or bad but I'm pleased with it and it gets me where I'm going.

This forum seems like a nice place to hang out and ask a question without too much fear of being shot down in flames so here I am.

Cheers

Dongo

SurlyNomad

Welcome Dongo, Im in the same boat as you, Am trying to get into jogging though and cant get my fat lazy ar5e out there. i cycle too and from halifax when i can but even thats a chore sometimes. You'll find allsorts of info on here and everyone is helpfull and accomodating with advice. And they realy do mean no question too stupid. so once again welcome :biggrin:

How do lads, keep it up and the miles will come. I'm back to my work commute tomorrow after a two week break, and it's a daunting thought even though it's really not very far.

Repetition is habit forming, I've proved this with the Jon shaped dent in the sofa! Keep peddling those hills and the miles will come.

I keep trying to get back to running, (well jogging). I worked up to doing a few 10k's back in 2007, but since then everythings gone south. I'm not a natural runner and I really hate the first mile, but I know if I get out there and hit a rhythm I'll end up enjoying it.

Anyway, welcome to CC, and it's true there is no such thing as a daft question :thumbsup:

postman

Legendary Member
Welcome from a Leeds lad.Well nearly 62.There is great cycling around here.Try Otley as a destination great place for cafes.Enjoy your bike.It's all downhill now.New bike clothes etc.Hope you have a fat wallet.

Oxo

Guru
Welcome from a Leeds lad.Well nearly 62.There is great cycling around here.Try Otley as a destination great place for cafes.Enjoy your bike.It's all downhill now.New bike clothes etc.Hope you have a fat wallet.

Welcome from another golden oldie not far from Leeds. I agree it's all downhill from here, until I get on my bike that is, and then it suddenly seems to be all uphill.

OP
OP
D

dongo

Regular
Thanks for the welcome all.

And yes, I must agree, it all seems to be uphill (with the wind against me) right now.

teletext45

Welcome to the site, i'm from beverley just oustide of hull

I remember my first ride ( 8 months ago) i did a massive 2 miles and was completely pooped!

Ive recently joined a club and do 50-80 miles every sunday plus a few rides during the week,

Keep at it, trust me 'it will come'

andy

colly

Re member eR
Hi Dongo, :welcome:

Top Bottom