Hi-ten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Is it so bad that's it's simply not worth buying a (new) bike made from hi-ten? What's actually wrong with it?

(thought I'd keep it brief and simple :wacko:)

MajorMantra

It's heavy and not springy. I have a rubbishy old road bike at home made of the stuff and it's like lead compared to a decent steel (531, 520 etc) or aluminium frame. I wouldn't buy a new bike made of the stuff but for a cheap old hack it's ok.

What are you thinking of getting? It's not one of those awful 'courier' FG/SS bikes is it? Because even leaving aside the frame material those have truly awful components.

Matthew

handsome joe

I had a Claud Butler racer in Hi-Ten. With a good pair of tyres it wasn't too bad, but if i had to choose i would go for better quality steel.

MajorMantra

Radius said:
Cheers for that, heavy isn't what I'm after. And it is a fixie, but it ain't a 'Unipack' bike.

SE Lager or something? (Sorry, I just like guessing.)

If you're after a cheap new fixed gear, you might take a look at Edinburgh Bicycle's new Revolution Track which is about £350 and has a 7005 frame:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C107&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002912

Alternatively you can get used Langsters (especially in London, they're everywhere) for between £150 and £250.

Matthew

Sorry, totally OT, but I have never managed to work it out - how do you actually brake on a fixie? :biggrin:

MajorMantra

punkypossum said:
Sorry, totally OT, but I have never managed to work it out - how do you actually brake on a fixie? :biggrin:

Pull brake lever, or lock your legs and skid/skip. The only difference between braking (with a brake) on a fixed gear and braking on a freewheel equipped bike is that you have to keep turning your legs as you slow down. If you forget the bike will soon remind you.:rolleyes:

Matthew

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
MajorMantra said:
SE Lager or something? (Sorry, I just like guessing.)

Was looking at that as well, but that's not Hi-ten, it's Chromoloy. The Hi-ten one I was wondering about was an SE something else.

If you're after a cheap new fixed gear, you might take a look at Edinburgh Bicycle's new Revolution Track which is about £350 and has a 7005 frame:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C107&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002912

Alternatively you can get used Langsters (especially in London, they're everywhere) for between £150 and £250.

Cheers for that link, could well be an option. Don't particularly want a Langster since you can hardly cycle 10 feet for seeing one these days, as you said.

MajorMantra

Radius said:
Was looking at that as well, but that's not Hi-ten, it's Chromoloy. The Hi-ten one I was wondering about was an SE something else.

Cheers for that link, could well be an option. Don't particularly want a Langster since you can hardly cycle 10 feet for seeing one these days, as you said.

Maybe I was thinking of the SE Draft actually. Have you seen this?:

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread9085.html

Not 100% complete but probably the best list out there. Personally I think buying used is your best option as in London there are huge numbers of FG/SS bikes changing hands. Just be careful of nicked ones. I paid £270 for my Genesis Flyer here in Edinburgh but the market is far larger in London so you should be able to find something just as nice for less.

Matthew

Top Bottom