Hi to all commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RossM

Afternoon all,

been lurking around since Sept/Oct but only just got around to registering and posting today. Would just like to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum as I've found so much useful info on here.

I bought a bike to use for part of my daily commute (bike, train, bike) through my company's C2W scheme last year - just before they cancelled it luckily! I bought the bike and quite a bit of gear and so far have been very happy with it (although I must admit that I went back to the bus when the weather turned last year).

A couple of questions if I may:

1) How do you make yourself take the bike when you look out the window and it's pouring down or windy in the morning ? I imagine this is the eternal question and everyone has a different opinion but I just can't seem to make myself do it - is it because the bus is always another option for me ?

2) I carry my laptop in a rucksack to and from work - are the Hi-Vis waterproof covers any good ? I've seen mixed reviews and although I think they are quite expensive for what they are, I kind of feel as though I should have one rather than covering up the hi-vis jacket with a black bag.

Thanks in advance.

Simon_m

Guru
if its raining, or going to rain heavy that day, I don't cycle :whistle: lol. tyres too slick. good luck, hope you enjoy :biggrin:

twozeronine

I have a fairly short commute (4 miles), so bad weather doesn't put me off much. Usually it looks much worse than it is when you're looking at it from inside your cozy house. Once you're on the road you just have to get on with it.
biggrin.gif
It makes it easier if you have some proper cycling clothes that you can change out of too.

I sometimes find heavy rain quite exhilarating.
tongue.gif

BSRU

A Human Being
No problems cycling in the rain, very enjoyable but on windy days it can be very disheartening, all that effort to go so slowly.

Some people where I work bring their laptops in using special pannier bags designed to protect laptops.

I take the bike when it is raining because in the 10 minutes or so I may be standing at the bus stop getting cold and damp I'll most likely be half way of the way into work...

As for dayglo rucksack covers, I see quite a lot and the ones that really stand out are those with lighting built in. I saw one with neon green strips pulsing vertically up it and it really stood out. Ones without lights are the same (imho) as putting reflectives on a normal rucksack.

Jezston

Über Member
1) If it's a short journey then who cares about getting a bit wet? ;) If it's longer, then having some nice waterproofs that keep you cosy whilst all around you are getting soaked is actually very pleasant!

2) Don't bother with the LEDwear rucksack covers. They may add to waterproofness, but the built in LEDs are incredibly fragile. I'm on my third cover in a year and already all the plastic caps have popped off the LEDs and two of the LEDs have stopped working. The on/off switch is very fiddly to get at and almost impossible to operate when wearing thick gloves. Occasionally, it'll decide it just doesn't want to turn on that day.
http://www.ledwear.co.uk/products/ledbackpackcover
I'm open to suggestions for any superior alternatives - as long as they don't have the word HUMP written on them in big letters!

nightoff

I don't mind the rain at all.

I keep my feet dry with waterproof hiking boots. I just wear bib longs, merino wood jersey and a reflective vest. I have a large saddle bag with a change of clothes for when I get to work. I just put the wet stuff on a radiator and it's dry for the journey home.

I have a rucksack laptop bag for days I need to bring the computer home. If it's raining I use an elasticated rucksack cover I cut off an old worn hiking ruck sack. I dont usually bother with reflectives for it as I have 2 rear lights on the bike, 1 on the saddle bag and 1 on the back of my helmet.

I also use reflective ankle and wrist straps + reflective vest.

Mad at urage

Afternoon to you! Hopefully a Good Afternoon :biggrin: !

1) Don't look out the window, just get dressed into cycling gear, get a nice cup of tea inside then wandre out and be surprised by whatever is happening. It's always too much trouble then to change back! Getting dry the other end (either from rain or sweat) is always the same.

2) Pannier for laptop, hivis cover for pannier and heavy duty plastic bag (or dry-bag from camping shop) over the laptop inside the pannier, plastic bag over this to take the wear and tear from the inside pannier straps. Carrying a laptop, it's not a lightweight option after all!

Enjoy commuting.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You don't have to cycle ...it isn't compulsory :whistle: however if you want to do it day in and day out ... they just tell yourself you are going by bike each day. I do have to look out the window first so I know what and how much to put on ... but I just get on with it and know I'm going to commute by bike each day (for me its harder to go out for leisure rides when the weather isn't brilliant). It isn't as bad as it seems 99.999% of the time - its just routine to get up, dressed, breakkie whilst quick peak at CC, and then off to work!.

As for the laptop - Mr Summerdays has a special pannier but if you want a cheap ruc-sack cover then why not put a builders vest over it and pull the straps through the arm holes.

Adasta

Wake up and tell yourself that getting the bus is not an option. Before long you will actually believe yourself and take the bike out. Then you'll do it day-after-day...

If you cycled every day instead of got the bus, you'd probably be saving around £15-£20 a week which will be handy since you'll have spent about £200 on your new cycling habit :biggrin:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Wind is my pet hate but rain,snow,ice are not ! I still ride in the wind but don't like the stuff.I just think about the gridlock i am NOT going to get stuck in and the possibilty that the ride home will be sunny (with no wind)
Having the right clothes helps in a massive way,there is nothing worse than being wet and cold on a bike.
Just keep at it and in time the weather will not be an issue at all

mgarl10024

Über Member
2) I carry my laptop in a rucksack to and from work
Some people where I work bring their laptops in using special pannier bags designed to protect laptops.
2) Pannier for laptop, hivis cover for pannier and heavy duty plastic bag (or dry-bag from camping shop) over the laptop
As for the laptop - Mr Summerdays has a special pannier

There's a theme there. :-)
I sometimes carry the work laptop. I looked at the 'special' panniers but they seemed quite expensive, so I went with standard panniers which were big enough to fit the laptop in with a plastic bag (as recommended) and even wrap it in an old towel or something for protection if your ride is bumpy.
To me, panniers don't seem cool. I was quite resistant to the idea and insisted on a packsack. One morning, I was loading up the packsack with a lunchbox, clothes, bike repair stuff and the laptop and it felt really heavy. I weighed myself twice with and without the bag and was amazed to see a 1st1lb difference (~6.8kg). It then occurred to me that it was a lot of weight on my back (and bum through the saddle). I fitted panniers and now the bike can take the weight rather than my back - and it's made a real difference. They don't look cool, they do catch the wind a bit, and they did cost a bit to buy (some nice Altura Orkney waterproof ones and a rack) - but if mine broke I'd replace them in a heartbeat. Rucksacks are for light things only now and short trips. :tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
1) How do you make yourself take the bike when you look out the window and it's pouring down or windy in the morning ? I imagine this is the eternal question and everyone has a different opinion but I just can't seem to make myself do it - is it because the bus is always another option for me ?

I could take the bus too but I prefer cycling in the rain, although it wasn't always that way. Cycling cap to keep the rain off the face, mudguards, overshoes, waterproof/showerproof top and off I go. Wind is a bit of a struggle, but I don't try to fight it- I just ride slower.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
2) I carry my laptop in a rucksack to and from work - are the Hi-Vis waterproof covers any good ? I've seen mixed reviews and although I think they are quite expensive for what they are, I kind of feel as though I should have one rather than covering up the hi-vis jacket with a black bag.

Laptop solutions: perhaps switch to a waterproof pannier or courier bag or rucsac- I use an Ortleib courier bag, it's very good at keeping the water out. Their panniers are also good in this respect.

However I have an inferior design of pannier which isn't completely waterproof. I bought a roll-top stuffsac of the type used for kayaking and put the laptop in that, then slip it into the pannier.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I prefer carrying the laptop in a pannier but some of my bikes don't have racks- and I might want to leave the laptop at work and go out on my road bike in the evening so the courier bag is used for these trips.

Top Bottom