Hi-viz risks??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

I have to admit a liking for these fly on the wall police documentaries that seem to infest the TV networks lately. Sad I know! However, I have heard coppers say more than once that people tend to drive where they are looking which is why so many motorway accidents occur on the hard shoulder. Rubber neckers looking at the incident and then driving into it despite police cars lit up like christmas trees.

This had had me thinking wether we cyclists can carry the same risks. All this hi viz gear we wear attracts attention to us (usually), which is exactly what it is for. Once a driver has us in his eyeline does he then drive towards us, especially if he is driving on mental autopilot, going by the same theory as motorists on motorway hard shoulders.

I'm not very good at explaining things that I mean but I am sure you will see what I am getting at. Never mind, I will keep taking the tablets!!

Magnatom takes his seat in the front row, places his tub of popcorn in the convenient holder and waits for the show to commence....:tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a name for it - something like 'target fixation' I think. It's the reason if you spot a pothole or rock in the road, and look at it, you'll probably end up riding bang over it.

I'd never thought of it in terms of hi-vis cyclists, but you have a point. On the whole though, I'd rather be visible to those who are awake enough to then avoid me, and take my chances with those who are on autopilot, because they are already a hazard, whether I'm hi-vis or not...

I suspect part of the problem on motorways is that tendency for drivers to be lulled into dopeyness by long stretches with no need to brake, steer etc, whereas in an urban environment they have more stimulii like junctions, lights etc to keep them half awake.

Wobbly John

Veteran
chillyuk said:
I have heard coppers say more than once that people tend to drive where they are looking...

Some call it 'target fixation'. It happens with cyclists too - as in avoiding dog poo on cyclepaths - the trick is to concentrate on the place you want to ride, not the poop you want to miss.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think it may be true (target fixation)...for a small minority of drivers

At the same time, i'm sure if the 'assumed' risks associated with wearing hi-viz were as dangerous as some believe....you'd already have seen a much higher percentage of riders, peds whatever being involved in accidents.

Swings and roundabouts. Everything carries a risk, even the things that normally are there to help or protect us. Its just a matter of weighing the benefits.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Target fixation: Once I was waiting for my push-off at the start of a TT and I was looking intently at a broken bit of kerb along the edge of the gravel layby just ahead of the start line, thinking that I wouldn't like to veer off to the left and hit it.

Soon as I started I veered off and hit it. Got over it, bumped around on the gravel a bit, then managed to get back over the kerb and onto the road.

Agree with Arch...I have less probs now than what I had when not wearing Hi-Viz.

I think the only real problem is peds.

Wobbly John said:
Some call it 'target fixation'. It happens with cyclists too - as in avoiding dog poo on cyclepaths - the trick is to concentrate on the place you want to ride, not the poop you want to miss.

Rename that to coke cans with are absolutely lethal.

Davidc

Guru
chillyuk said:
Once a driver has us in his eyeline does he then drive towards us,

Of course!

:tongue:

bauldbairn

chillyuk said:
....I am sure you will see what I'm getting at. Never mind, I will keep taking the tablets!!

:tongue:

You could have a point - I wear Hi-Viz on my bike and flashing LED's day time and night time.
Whilst driving I notice flashing LED's in low level Scottish winter daylight well before I spot the Hi-Viz on cyclists.

Especially with the high number of peds wearing Hi-Viz on the pavements(to work etc), you could be right about it being a distraction. I've never really thought whether it would cause a motorist to drive into me.

bauldbairn said:
I've never really thought whether it would cause a motorist to drive into me.

What!:laugh: Didn't you know that it is always our fault! WE make the drivers overtake when they shouldn't, WE make them pull out in front of us, WE cause all the congestion at rush hour......:tongue:

Top Bottom