High5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use them.
They are not as sugary or sticky as squash or other sports drinks.
Do they work? Dunno really...:laugh:

Gary E

Veteran
I use them for convenience but prefer the taste of SiS Go which unfortunately has to be mixed.

Definitively help on longer rides.

Rando

Veteran
I use them when out on the bike and also for longish CV sessions in the gym. I found I was suffering from cramp in my legs a fair bit but since popping a High5 tablet in my water bottle it seems to have lessened the cramps.

lulubel

Über Member
High 5 Zero? I tried them, but didn't like the taste much. I use Nuun instead. They're a must for me at anything over about 20C, or I get really bad headaches after my rides.

lulubel

Über Member
The reason I like them is that they don't taste of much really.

I tried loads of different ones when I started using them. Most of them were either sickly sweet or tasted like water with "something" nondescript in it. Nuun citrus works for me because they're not sweet but have a particular flavour. I find they taste a bit weird when I first start using them in spring, but by the time I stop using them in autumn, I've got so used to them that drinking plain water on the bike tastes weird! It's a good thing there's such a range of different products, so most people can find something they can tolerate ever if they don't actually like it.

I'm interested in hearing more on this. How are people using them? What I've just read states they are meant to aid weight loss or more accurately help burn fat. They have next to no calories and very little carbs and are not designed to replace a carb. drink.

On my last ride I bonked (sounds terrible, I know) as I only set out with water wrongly thinking I'd try to burn a little extra weight I'm carrying. So would these help prevent this horrible experience or do I need to still refuel? Maybe a carb drink and a High 5 zero in two bottles? Is this defeating the purpose?

Cut and Paste from High 5 Zero. I've highlighted in bold the bits that interest me:

High 5 Zero Active Hydration provides you with an on the go sports drink allowing you to make an bottle of water a electrolyte fuelled powerhouse! Designed to help burn fat and allow you to train low and race high..

ZERO is the new electrolyte sport drink tablet from High5. It is designed for use before, during and after exercise. One tablet dropped into 500ml of water produces a delicious, refreshing, zero-sugar, low-carb, anti-cramp electrolyte drink with added magnesium

Zero Active hydration are different to conventional sports drinks in that they provide nominal energy/ calories. Zero is not designed to replace your carbohydrate sports drink for outright performance gains. Instead it should be used strategically during training to increase fat oxidation, fat loss and adaption. As Zero is low carb and sugar free it can also be used as part of a weight loss programme.
Per tablet (500ml drink):
Energy: 35Kj/8.12Kcal
Protein: Trace
Carbohydrate: 2g
Fat: Trace
Fibre: Trace
Sodium: 260mg
Magnesium: 60mg
Potassium: 75mg
Calcium: 9mg
Vitamin C: 25mg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You still need to fuel correctly, but the sweet carb drinks which are full of sugar are not the only fueling strategy. Slow release complex carb before the ride like oats and pasta are good. Fuel during the ride sensibly, bananas, malt loaf etc. Strangely the reason I swapped to Hi 5 zero was because the sugary sports drinks were affecting my teeth. Riding 4/5 days a week mean't I might as well have been using a sugar solution mouth wash. Not good.......

Top Bottom