Hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

Have been cycling for a couple of months now as some of you know. I want to get into hill climbing a bit (which will mean another cog, or another bike), and wandered what level I should be aiming at.

So far my maximum ride has been 20 miles on the Wayfarer, on pretty much level ground and a bit of playing on short hills (1 in 25 for 1/4 of a mile and such), as well as an 8.3 miler on my Asda mountain bike (1 in 50 ish over 4 miles).

For some useful car journeys to be deleted, and also to make me fitter, I'm looking at doing the climb over the Lickeys up Rose Hill / Old Birmingham Road, which I reckon to be 1 in 18 uphill southbound over 3/4 mile, and 1 in 22 over 1.5 miles northbound. I want to be reasonably confident in being able to do this at some point, and wandered if anyone's already given it a go. Any tips?

Be grateful for any advice. Already considering the 23T sprocket for the Wayfarer, and eBay byebye for the Asda, and possibly a secondhand bike more suited to hills (but not a MTB).

Steve

raindog

er.....
If you've only been riding a bike for a couple of months and your maximum ride is 20 miles probably best not to get a bee in your bonnet about "hill climbing". Simply get out on the bike as often as you can for as far as you can and if there are hills to climb, then climb them. You'll naturally get stronger on the bike the more you ride it. Just enjoy the bike wherever you are is my advice - it's as simple as that.

jimboalee

Rose Hill up from the golf course to the gas station past Twatling Road is 1 in 8 at its steepest.
Up the Old Birmingham Road is easier as its 1 in 10 steepest. 1 in 14 from the Tesco store at Linehouse Lane.

On the Wayfarer, you prob' need a gear in the low thirties. This might be an imposibility without a crankset change.

On the British Eagle, wind it up Rose Hill slowly at walking pace in lowest of low. Don't be surprised if it takes half an hour, but its good cardio training.

the snail

Guru
if you want to get up hills a low gear is best, but you can do it with tall gears - if you keep at it you'll get there. I don't know the routes you mention, but neither sounds very hard if you have a few miles under your belt - go for it!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Have a play around with things on smaller hills - some people find it easier to push a big gear and turn the pedals more slowly whilst others prefer a high cadence in a low gear.

Then give the hill a go when there's no one watching and you can get off if its all too much( just cite mechanical problems if anyone does notice).

jimboalee

On a Raleigh Wayfarer, there's no two ways about it, they're going to be 'big gears'.

To get some sensible gearing for the Lickeys, it will have to be a square taper single chainset and a new Bottom bracket. £££s.

Cottered cranksets of less than 46 teeth are as rare as RHS. A way round it would be to get an old 52/42 cottered crankset and chop the 52 ring off.

Couple the 42 ring with a 24 sprocket and you're laughing.

Klaus

If you've only been riding a bike for a couple of months and your maximum ride is 20 miles probably best not to get a bee in your bonnet about "hill climbing". Simply get out on the bike as often as you can for as far as you can and if there are hills to climb, then climb them. You'll naturally get stronger on the bike the more you ride it. Just enjoy the bike wherever you are is my advice - it's as simple as that.

Only been cycling regularly again since this spring and I would recommend likewise, attack the hills as best as you can. There is no shame if at some stage you have to stop. This weekend I managed a route which the first time I had to abandon as I just couldn't do it. Still had to stop twice, but it's true, it will get better, if not easier.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
As others have said, just have a go at the hills. No shame in stopping for a rest, or even pushing the bike up. The important thing is to keep trying. Don't let the fact that you have had to stop (or push) put you off trying the hill again. One day you will suddenly realise that you are easily cycling up hills that you previously wouldn't have attempted.
:bicycle:

Oh - if the heart failure thing was a serious comment - see your doctor and/or stop trying the hill when you can't hear anything except your heart beating or your vision greys out or you want to throw up. Don't overdo it!

I think you may need to consider your hill-climbing technique: don't think that attacking hills at speed is going to get you up them. If you think that the hill will tax your abilities, just change into your lowest gear at the earliest opportunity and then slowly pedal to the summit. Go as slowly as you want, but just cycle.

jimboalee

I may have mentioned this on another thread.

Within a fortnight of buying my Pug racebike in 1975, friends and I went to Shrewsbury on the train and then rode our bike to the top of Horseshoe Pass.

Hills are to be ridden up. Legs are there to be made strong.

OP is going to climb those hills. I'm sure of that.:thumbsup:

zacklaws

Guru
As the others have said, but don't get too complacent with the hills on your own patch as the more you climb them the easier they get and you'll wonder why you struggled in the first place on them. But what has happened is you have got too familiar with them and know every little change in gradient, steps, when it finishes etc and learnt when to stand, sit, change gear etc and they have become easier. As well as fitness improving up them hills, you have also developed a technique to master them. The fitness will help on all hills, but that technique may not work and need amending on the unknown. Whereas you could stand on a steep gradient for 50 meters to get up that part, followed by sitting on an easier part, the next hill may have 75 meters, but that could be too much, so then you have to try sitting and standing and not burn out for example.

Variety is what you need as well to keep testing yourself. Every hill is different, each has its own peculiarities to overcome and challenge you, some seem harder than others yet others can be killers, even if there the same gradient.

Study the maps of your local area and find hills that you can cycle too and back in one journey and set yourself the challenge of going and tackling it. I will do round trips of up to 130 miles just to climb one hill and I still cannot master them all, despite climbing rosedale chimney 30+% gradient for example, a hill of lesser gradient and longer can have me struggling.

Hopefully that lot may make sence, but the moral is get out and do as many different ones as possible.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Thanks for the advice. I did some hill practise nearer home today, up Primrose Hill before I was interrupted by going to work. This is a relatively short climb of about 1/4 of a mile, and around a 1 in 13 climb according to BikeHike data. Had attempted this a few times before and failed, but got up today with some huffing and puffing to spare. More to do with technique than anything I reckon. Leaning forward on the bike in bottom gear, bum just above the saddle, seems to give the desired effect when climbing. When I got to a short (20 yards ish) stretch of hill at its steepest point, I find myself almost rowing the bike along, using upper body as well as lower body to get up. I'm sure some trial and error will get me climbing longer, steeper hills, even on the Wayfarer. Last attempt on Saturday had me running out of puff halfway up, as I'd attempted to "spin" up, and ran out of energy. Grinding, it seems, works better for me, until I get better at the cardio stuff at least :-)

Thanks again!
Steve

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd consider getting a turbo - they can be boring but are great for improving cadence and cardio exercise.

It wont replicate going up a hill but will provide a good base upon which to build.

jimboalee

Primrose Hill, from the Kings Norton Green island via Masshouse Lane goes upwards over the cut and then takes a nice little 20% ( 1 in 5 ) blip up for about 50m or so. ( where the grassed area is and the houses are painted white ).

From bottom to top is about a 4% average over 0.5 km.

Try Parsons Hill. Its a 12% ( 1 in 8 ). If you can get from the cut up to the Bell Pub, Err McDonalds without standing, you're well on your way.

Top Bottom