hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucy

I want to start cycling to work , but my way to work has a lot of steep hills and am finding them hard on my bike which is a road bike with a standard double chain set 50/34 and 8 speed, is there anything i could change on it to make it easier

You could put a larger cassette on the back but that would probably mean the cost of a longer chain/ new cage. IMO the best option is practice the 34T chain ring you have will give you a very low gear.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
try the hill with the chain on the smallest ring at the front, and the largest ring at the back. if the hill is still a real struggle, you should consider consulting a local bike shop* (not halfords) about how best to achieve a lower gear. if you struggle up the hill you won't do your knees any good; far better to 'spin' up the hill in a low gear.

there's no shame in admitting that the hill is too steep with your current gears, as someone who had to abandon a club event because the bike was over geared for the rider, i've been that soldier.

*if you state the area where you live then i'm sure someone here will recommend a good one.

You say that you are finding the hills hard but do not say they beat you, so I'm guessing you can get up them though with a lot of effort.

In which case, keep doing them and this will make them easier, to the point where ypu will be flying up them in the big ring. Yes you can lower your gears even more but then what happens when its windy and no lower gears, sorry but keep going at them is the best way

Wot's on the rear cassette Lucy. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but rear cassettes are described thus 11-28, meaning on an 8 speed say a range of 11-13-15-17-21-23-25-28 which is the actual number of teeth on each cog. A 34 front 28 rear would get you up most things but not all, especially if you are new to it.

Often the only way to know this is to actually count the rear teeth or a bit easier take it into the bike shop and ask them to reccommend a new rear cassette with a larger spread, say 12-34.

Your other option is to change the 34 to a 30. Again take it to your bike shop for advice.

jimboalee

We all start somewhere.
If I can remember back far enough, I can recall my rides to Henley in Arden for an ice cream. On the way back there is Liverage Hill.
The first Sunday, I got about 100 yds up it and walked the rest, the second Sunday 200 yds.
Weeks went by that summer and eventually I got to the top.

Eight triple scoops with chocolate sauce and two flakes....:wacko:...Helped.

RedBike

A standard double is normaly 39/52 not 34/50, so you have already got a chainset suitable for low gears.

Perhaps you could change the cassette?

Keep trying, i'm sure you'll get there!

Young Un

jimboalee said:
We all start somewhere.
If I can remember back far enough, I can recall my rides to Henley in Arden for an ice cream. On the way back there is Liverage Hill.
The first Sunday, I got about 100 yds up it and walked the rest, the second Sunday 200 yds.
Weeks went by that summer and eventually I got to the top.

Eight triple scoops with chocolate sauce and two flakes....:wacko:...Helped.

liveridge hill is a killer:angry: - well if its the one I am thinking it of it is - does it go up form henley headed up towards hockley heath?

jimboalee

Yup.

I was twelve on a Halfords Olympic 26 x 1 1/4, 5 speed youths sports tourer. 48 ring and 14 - 28 screw on freewheel.
48 - 28 lowest ( 45" ). Twelve years old and Tight head prop for school rugger team.:becool:

The next summer, I cycled to Long Marston airfield to watch the first NDRC event their. Now its Shakespeare County Raceway, and I still cycle there.:evil:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I always find hills hard - and sometimes give in and walk ... but I know I can get up hills that I couldn't when I first started - and there was a tremendous sense of achievement the first time I did get to the top. There is no shame in walking - but note where you get off the bike and try to get past that point the next time.

summerdays said:
I always find hills hard - and sometimes give in and walk ... but I know I can get up hills that I couldn't when I first started - and there was a tremendous sense of achievement the first time I did get to the top. There is no shame in walking - but note where you get off the bike and try to get past that point the next time.
Absolutely .. the first time I tried the hill I have to go up to get work (which ain't that much of a hill, tbh) I got halfway in my lowest gear (which is low: MTB) and bailed out . Next night, I made it a bit further, then a bit further and so on. After a week and a bit I could make it to the top though I had to stop for a rest.

After a few months, I could go up it comfortably in a higher gear, quicker and still be able to talk to someone at the top. Now, to be as out of breath as I used to be, I'd have to really give it some beans .. but I don't often do that. I am the LAZY Commuter, after all .. :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

lucy

THANKS FOR ADVICE

Thanks for all advice obviously my fitness is the issue and not the gears, salads here i come :biggrin: really good forum will definitely be using it again , especially if anyone has any suggestions for good bike routes in north wales

You'll get there: I was unfit and fat bloke .. well, actually, that's what I am now. I was VERY unfit and fat bloke and I got there. I'm not sure where "there" is and I've still got a way to go .. log in to Cyclogs and see my average speed compared to everyone else !! But hey, it's all lots of fun and that's the important thing. :biggrin:

Top Bottom