Hit a stone this morning, two flat tyres!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iacula

Hit a stone this morning, at 25 mph two flat tyres! I suppose the pressure surge did it. Will Schalbe's stop this?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sounds like pinch flats, I'm betting that at least one of your tubes has two holes like a snakebite. If the stone is big enough, and you're going fast enough, nothing will stop this apart from avoiding the impact in the first place.

What was your tyre pressure, and what tyres are currently on the bike?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
twowheelsgood said:
"cheap Bontragers"

Not the 25c "Selects" that come with various Treks etc?

These things puncture if you just look at them funny in my experience, utter cra@p.

I had 28 selects with my Trek and didn't have a puncture for all the 12 months I owned it. They *do* look crap though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
iacula

iacula

Yes 25c's on an "entry level" Trek 1.2, can't blame the tyres this time though it seems, Shwalbe Marathons on order nevertheless!

twowheelsgood

I swapped mine for GP4000s which for a genuine racing tyre is pretty tough, more so than a pro race (which isn't as bad as you might think).

The selects went back on my commuter recently as they were all I had left, which reminds me, I must get some new Panaracer Paselas this weekend. I really don't like those heavy "puncture proof" some ride here 500-600g is just too heavy.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MERV said:
How did you get to 25?:biggrin:

25mph isn't that hard to do, even I can do that, on the flat, on a hybrid, and I am no hard core club racer... can't keep to that speed for very long though.

Keith Oates

Janner
The last time I was in the UK I hit a large stone when travelling down a hill at a farily high speed, not only two punctures but two new wheels were also required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mootaineer

twowheelsgood said:
I swapped mine for GP4000s which for a genuine racing tyre is pretty tough, more so than a pro race (which isn't as bad as you might think).

The selects went back on my commuter recently as they were all I had left, which reminds me, I must get some new Panaracer Paselas this weekend. I really don't like those heavy "puncture proof" some ride here 500-600g is just too heavy.

What do you think of the Paselas? Are they any good?
I've thought about running them (when I get frustrated by punctures).
Recently I have started commuting (yes...:becool:) on GP4000s because the grip I get from it hasn't been matched by any other tyre so far.
Puncture resistance seems quite good too. Rolling resistance is the best so far.

I've tried Michelin Krylions, Pro2 Race, Bontrager Hardcase, etc.
The Krylions seem to be reasonably puncture proof but I find they don't grip too well. Pro2 Race I don't like at all, despite their claims for low rolling resistance (which I've never experienced). I found them very skittish too. The Hardcases were ok...but again not sure about the grip.

mootaineer

iacula said:
Hit a stone this morning, at 25 mph two flat tyres! I suppose the pressure surge did it. Will Schalbe's stop this?

That happened to me about 1month ago riding along Victoria Embankment on my way to a doctor's appointment! :becool:

Unfortunately I had to catch a cab...but he was great to talk to and I'm glad he was accommodating enough to take me AND the bike! :smile:

Since then I've started lining my rear tyres with Mr Tuffy.
They don't seem to have decreased the rolling resistance too much and so far (although it hasn't been long enough) so good.

I was also surprised. It was just a small stone (the likes of which I'm sure I've ridden over before)! :tongue:

Top Bottom