Hiya from Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WeeE

I'm new to cycling (as an adult, anyway) and still very unfit. (How unfit? Carrying my bike down to the ground floor's still a challenge; have to stop on the landings on the way up.) Never learned to drive, and pretty clueless on the road altogether - I'm probably that bloody hopeless, irritatingly slow, wobbly wummin you gnash your teeth behind.

How bloody hopeless? My first trip out, I forgot about the kickstand, and at the first tiny lean, fell over in the middle of the road. Dusted off, blessing my foresight at picking the dead-time on a Sunday. Sat down in the park gasping for about half an hour. Headed for Lidl, ended up going through the wrong underpass into the Clyde tunnel.

It was so rough my light blinked out, but there was a bloke whizzing down behind me, so I had to keep going, hoping to find a break in the fence, because I'm too short and puny to lift my bike over - and so unfit I'm puffing going DOWNhill. By the time he squeezed past me, I thought I may as well carry on cos this must be nearly halfway. Not really. So - eventually - in the middle of the Clyde tunnel, in the dark, now walking, and here's a guy whizzing down the opposite way. At this point I realise my jacket is black. (I thought I was going for a Sunday afternoon pootle in the park and then the back roads to Lidl.) Started whistling so he'd hear me. He looked shocked and very disapproving, but obviously realised I was a hopeless case, and said nothing. Sorry, you two blokes, whoever you are!

Hello! xx(

I wasn't one of the blokes, although I do cycle through the tunnel every day! have a look at some of my videos, as I have a few videos going through the Clyde Tunnel (see my links in my signature below).

Don't worry about being unfit. Each time you get out on your bike your fitness improves. Before you know it you will be doing your first 100 mile ride! :biggrin:

Oh, and when you feel up to it, we organise regular rides in central Scotland. Have a look here. No-one is ever left behind! :smile:

ACS

Legendary Member
xx( :biggrin:

Most of us have been there and many more will follow. The key is not to become disheartened, I promise it will get easier, cycling will make you smile, every landmark you reach will give you a lift and your pockets in time will become lighter. You will grow to love cake, jelly babies, hills the wind the rain.

Join the CC Ecosse team on Cyclogs we need your milage.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Hello and welcome along, I am fairly new to cycling also, ( about three months I think) and have now done a 42 miler so you won't be long in building up those miles and getting some fitness in.

Would be great to see you on one of the Central rides

:angry:

andyc6

Hi.

Im new back to cycling in Glasgow to. (2 weeks). I could barely manage a few miles at first, but I road over 10 yesterday. So.....it will come.

OP
OP
W

WeeE

Thanks!

I didn't expect so many to read, let alone answer - thanks, folks!

(Watched your Clyde Tunnel vid, Magnatom - the Govan-Road-exit tunnel definitely looks nicer than the one I went through - all the lights working too! I take it I was going through the south-to-north one, then: at least got something accidentally right.)

Coco

Lots have said it before, but its worth repeating - it really does get easier.
I started about easter and could barely ride any distance without being out of puff. I just stuck at it and can now do my commute with ease. I've also done a couple of longish rides (25 miles and the 50ish PfS ride).

The guys on here will give you a lot of support both virtually and in the flesh. Stick at it and this time next year you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Top Bottom