hiya from south manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deggers

Hi there!, after a week of reading thought i'd say hello!. After years of umming and arghhing I've just bought myself a road bike-I'd not turned a peddle in anger in ten years but am loving it!-cant get out enough. Just a bit gutted i've only got into it in winter tho.

Anywho thought this may be a good way of meeting a few cycling buddies as non of my mates are keen. If any road riders live round south manchester and wouldnt mind a red faced, weezing 30 yr old bringing up the rear-i'd appreciate tagging along-(if thats not cheeky?) perhaps get out in the peaks...

anyway-great site, really useful for the novice such as myself

cheers, russ

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Hiya!

Have a look at the informal rides section - plenty of local stuff going on- a fairly big 'un on sunday if you fancy a bash.........

OP
OP
deggers

deggers

thanks dan bo-have checked it out, sounds great but i fear its a touch ambitious at the mo- would love to be upto that stage at some point soonish tho. At the min I can do about 30 miles on the flat comfortably, was going to have a stab at snake pass and the cat and fiddle tho at the weekend as my first real test.

thanks again, will keep my eye on the informal rides section

cheers, russ

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello :welcome:

If you are thinking of doing the Cat and Fiddle try Pott Shrigley and the Brick Works Not quite as mental in terms of motorbikes, nice little climb though. You can drop back down either via Whaley Bridge or Rainow/Macc two good descents 45 mph without trying :thumbsup:

OP
OP
deggers

deggers

thanks hacienda, sounds good-must admit i dont know pott shrigley is it sort of prestbury direction?. I've generally bein going styal-then wilmslow, alderley edge as a means of getting out in the sticks-can you recommend a route to the brick works?

cheers, deggers

potsy

Rambler
thanks dan bo-have checked it out, sounds great but i fear its a touch ambitious at the mo- would love to be upto that stage at some point soonish tho. At the min I can do about 30 miles on the flat comfortably, was going to have a stab at snake pass and the cat and fiddle tho at the weekend as my first real test.

thanks again, will keep my eye on the informal rides section

cheers, russ
Welcome.
Come along deggers,you can always turn back if it's too much.
Where abouts are you?

OP
OP
deggers

deggers

cheers potsy, thanks for the encouragement! (i do need it!). Will pass on this ride as I'm Bonfire partying on saturday night (was going to go for a spin on sat) but will have a stab at the next one certainly. To answer your question im in withington. Enjoy the ride!

cheers, deggers

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
thanks hacienda, sounds good-must admit i dont know pott shrigley is it sort of prestbury direction?. I've generally bein going styal-then wilmslow, alderley edge as a means of getting out in the sticks-can you recommend a route to the brick works?

cheers, deggers

If you are coming from Withington via Styal go past Styal Golf Club (left off the main road through Styal) which brings you out at the Bluebell BMW dealers, straight over at those lights keeping going (about a mile) till you get to a Shell garage (Dean Row) left at the roundabout past The Unicorn pub and right at the next roundabout towards Macclesfield on Lees Lane, follow this road for a mile or so past Sydney Jackson Ford dealers then turn left signposted Adlington Hall. Follow this road which will take you to Pott Shrigley, the climb starts just after the crossroads with the lights with the Legh Arms pub, stay on this road. When you get to Pott Shrigley the Old Brickworks are signposted you bear left just after Shrigley Hall Hotel. When you get to the top you can go left to Kettlsehulme and Whaley Bridge which will get you to the A6 or you can turn right which will take you to Macc via Rainow, both good fun fast descents. It is a little bit of a challenge first time, nothing too steep and gets easier the more you do it, it is also a great entry into the Pennines, some good climbs past this, I have a loop I do that goes up that way to the Goyt Valley and comes down past the Cat and Fiddle.
I would offer to show you but Saturday is out for me and I am doing the forum ride on Sunday. If you fancy it another weekend gives us a shout and if I am free might be tempted. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
deggers

deggers

If you are coming from Withington via Styal go past Styal Golf Club (left off the main road through Styal) which brings you out at the Bluebell BMW dealers, straight over at those lights keeping going (about a mile) till you get to a Shell garage (Dean Row) left at the roundabout past The Unicorn pub and right at the next roundabout towards Macclesfield on Lees Lane, follow this road for a mile or so past Sydney Jackson Ford dealers then turn left signposted Adlington Hall. Follow this road which will take you to Pott Shrigley, the climb starts just after the crossroads with the lights with the Legh Arms pub, stay on this road. When you get to Pott Shrigley the Old Brickworks are signposted you bear left just after Shrigley Hall Hotel. When you get to the top you can go left to Kettlsehulme and Whaley Bridge which will get you to the A6 or you can turn right which will take you to Macc via Rainow, both good fun fast descents. It is a little bit of a challenge first time, nothing too steep and gets easier the more you do it, it is also a great entry into the Pennines, some good climbs past this, I have a loop I do that goes up that way to the Goyt Valley and comes down past the Cat and Fiddle.
I would offer to show you but Saturday is out for me and I am doing the forum ride on Sunday. If you fancy it another weekend gives us a shout and if I am free might be tempted. :thumbsup:

thanks mate, thats cracking-great directions!. will most likely give that a go on saturday-i'll let u know how i fair. cheers again and will give you a shout when im next up for a blast-provided i survive this one!. enjoy the ride sunday

deggers.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome mate,i like riding around Styal,Tatton area on a Sunday morning but these buggers are dragging me out across the tops on Sunday ! :biggrin: Good bunch on here and i am looking forward to my first group ride....normally a billy no mates rider !!!

ZIZAG

Veteran
Welcome Deggers.
From Another Ex Manc . I used to Live In Withington /Fallowfied . Derby road .
Now In the Wilmslow area . I do all my local trips around Styal and around the Airport Runway 2. And Bollin valley .
My main cycling route Is the same as Hacienda 71.
From Wilmslow to Morley Green. Mobberley . Out to Warford Alderley Edge . Around all the various lanes . "We must all be crossing each other ".
I have more time than the rest of you as I retired last year . I have just taken up cycling again .
I went on a 30 miler on Monday (It was very mild 14c .) to the above routes and then to Martall . Ollerton past Toft to Shakerley Mere . Allostock . And back up the A50. through the same route .
I keep to the flat Cheshire countryside . As I know all the routes H 71 , described . As I usually drive to Potts Shrigley upto the Goyt Valley . And then go Hiking Up the Hills looking over to the Cat & Fiddle .
Its much easier than biking . But you lads are welcome to It . :biggrin:
Cheers

OP
OP
deggers

deggers

Welcome mate,i like riding around Styal,Tatton area on a Sunday morning but these buggers are dragging me out across the tops on Sunday ! :biggrin: Good bunch on here and i am looking forward to my first group ride....normally a billy no mates rider !!!

yeh-billy no mates is also my usual style-good sometimes but i reckon you probably push yourself more riding with other peeps. I'm lookin forward to hopefully goin out with a few more experience riders-force me to up my game!. Well off out for a spin now as it happens. enjoy the blast on sun.

OP
OP
deggers

deggers

Welcome Deggers.
From Another Ex Manc . I used to Live In Withington /Fallowfied . Derby road .
Now In the Wilmslow area . I do all my local trips around Styal and around the Airport Runway 2. And Bollin valley .
My main cycling route Is the same as Hacienda 71.
From Wilmslow to Morley Green. Mobberley . Out to Warford Alderley Edge . Around all the various lanes . "We must all be crossing each other ".
I have more time than the rest of you as I retired last year . I have just taken up cycling again .
I went on a 30 miler on Monday (It was very mild 14c .) to the above routes and then to Martall . Ollerton past Toft to Shakerley Mere . Allostock . And back up the A50. through the same route .
I keep to the flat Cheshire countryside . As I know all the routes H 71 , described . As I usually drive to Potts Shrigley upto the Goyt Valley . And then go Hiking Up the Hills looking over to the Cat & Fiddle .
Its much easier than biking . But you lads are welcome to It . :biggrin:
Cheers

Sounds like some good roads I'll have to explore. Must admit dont know cheshire roads really well (i grew up in newmills-so peaks i know much better) tend to use styal wilmslow as a means of getting out of manchester. went down the A34 when i first got my bike-big mistake!.
Sure we probably have passed!-bet t-shirts printed with cc login names on the front would prove quite enlightening!

all the best

bobbiezak

I also use all the lanes round Macclesfield, Mobberley, Knutsford, Bollington and Holmes Chapel. You can easily do 30-40 miles incorpoating some short sharp climbs without tackling Pott Shrigley and the Cat & Fiddle. If I lived where you do I would put the bike in or on the car and drive into Cheshire and begin your ride from there. There are many laybys which are ok to leave the car for 2-3 hours. I have done this myself if I want to cycle in a different area. The fun and enjoyment is in the countryside not in the urban areas. Don't let anyone tell you Cheshire is flat. I cycled up towards Rainow and onto Kerridge yesterday and the view over the Cheshire Plains was spellbounding. If you spot a black Carrera Vanquish on the roads it will probably be me. Your CC t-shirts is a good idea

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
yeh-billy no mates is also my usual style-good sometimes but i reckon you probably push yourself more riding with other peeps. I'm lookin forward to hopefully goin out with a few more experience riders-force me to up my game!. Well off out for a spin now as it happens. enjoy the blast on sun.

I must say the group ride went very well and we all had a good day in the sun,hope you can have a trip out next time.Might have a nice relaxed ride round the Cheshire flats next week after all those bloody hills from today !

Top Bottom