Hiya Roadkill !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Twice this week i have past kids on bikes with no lights and wearing black gear and greeted them by saying "Hiya Roadkill ! " Cannot believe they are even let out by their parents with bikes not equiped for winter/night riding.I was lit up like a Christmas tree when it was light and still got hit,it just beggars belief !

Which really proves that being lit is not an advantage?

I agree.

Yesterday, in the car, driving down a poorly lit lane, two kids dressed in black and walking a black dog crossed the road in front of me and scared the bejusus out of me!

It was lucky that I was going slow, looking for an elusive side turning, or I might have ended up with a Labrador for a bonnet mascot. But if ever I needed a practical demonstration of the old "wear something white at night" safety slogan, that was surely it.

Norm

I nearly took another one out this evening. Driving down an unlit country road, I couldn't figure out what the white thing was in the hedge, it was only when I was very close that I realised it wasn't something in the hedge but was a ninja in black hoody and trackie bottoms, with a white reflector on the back of his bike.

No lights front or back, no reflectors on the pedals, Lord knows how he could see anything.

I indicated to go round him, otherwise the car which was up my chuff might have just ploughed straight into him.

astrocan

Veteran
Was going along a cycle path when I heard some brakes, I thought he might be behind me but then I saw the dim glow of a fag and realised he was in front. Thankfully he had pulled over to the side to let me pass.:biggrin:

al78

Guru
Cunobelin said:
Which really proves that being lit is not an advantage?

No, it merely proves that being lit isn't a guarantee against being hit.

I find it hard to believe that a motorist that hits you when you are fully lit would somehow have missed you if you weren't lit at all.

Grendel

Veteran
skudupnorth said:
Twice this week i have past kids on bikes with no lights and wearing black gear and greeted them by saying "Hiya Roadkill ! " Cannot believe they are even let out by their parents with bikes not equiped for winter/night riding.I was lit up like a Christmas tree when it was light and still got hit,it just beggars belief !

Have you tried reasoning with a stroppy child?
"Drivers can't see you"
"But I can see THEM"!

Ronaldo

Salad Dodger said:
I agree.

Yesterday, in the car, driving down a poorly lit lane, two kids dressed in black and walking a black dog crossed the road in front of me and scared the bejusus out of me!

It was lucky that I was going slow, looking for an elusive side turning, or I might have ended up with a Labrador for a bonnet mascot. But if ever I needed a practical demonstration of the old "wear something white at night" safety slogan, that was surely it.

Take your point but they have every right to be there.

There is no danger until you arrive; you bring it with you and you should drive accordingly.

GrasB

Veteran
Ronaldo said:
Take your point but they have every right to be there.

There is no danger until you arrive; you bring it with you and you should drive accordingly.
So every car driver should drive along with all lights ablaze at walking pace?Because if you've got to see someone dressed head to toe in black that's about the only option you've got. Yes they have every right to be there but they also have a responsibility to them selves & others to allow people to actually see them. If you're walking along a road in the middle of nowhere you shouldn't be wearing exclusively black/dark clothing.

Chamfus Flange

It goes from the sublime to the rediculas. Stopped to repair my front light last night on a dark lane: no street lighting and occasional car at speed. Ten cyclist went passed, nine with no light and dark cloths and the only one with lights was obviously ready for Christmas.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Grendel said:
Have you tried reasoning with a stroppy child?
"Drivers can't see you"
"But I can see THEM"!

I give up with the reasoning bit...i have three girls under the age of 5...doomed ! It's just mad that they think it's normal to be able to ride without lights and not expect danger.I remember being pulled by the Police on my paper round (many years ago) for only having one brake,he made me walk it back to the paper shop and leave it there :smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It's not just the kids - seeing far too many adults riding in the dark with no lights at the mo. These ones have all the gear on too, but perhaps spending all that money on kit meant that they had none left for a couple of cheap lights.

On the other hand, there are quite a few hi-viz'ed, lots-of-lights riders merrily tanking along the pavements on my route.

It's almost like they've swapped places... (cue Twilight Zone theme) :eek:

Top Bottom