Hmm.. No "Black Lives Matter" thread?

All lives needlessly lost matter what ever there creed colour or race.

the snail

Veteran
Illegal as it was, have to say I enjoyed seeing Colston's statue being dumped in the dock, not before time.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
blm.jpg

I've seen many overtly racist posts saying "what about Ian Rigby, no-one protested for white lives matter then". People think they're being smart and demanding equality for all lives. But in fact are missing the wider issue that black people have had their rights and their opportunities denied of them for decades. It's taken some until now to realise, and some still don't get it. It's not just about one black man being killed by a white police officer in the US. That wasn't even the last straw. The last straw was many years ago when black communities said "we've had enough" and still were beaten, killed, denied jobs and opportunities.

I can't believe that after all of the coverage, some people still don't get it, and would prefer to stand up for "everyone including whites". Take a look at youself, and ask yourself have you ever been fearful of your life when a policeman approached? Or have you ever been denied a job or job interview becasue of the colour of your skin? Or ever been teased and bullied at school because you're not white?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Illegal as it was, have to say I enjoyed seeing Colston's statue being dumped in the dock, not before time.
A good thread on the Colston topic from Prof Kate Williams, well worth a few minutes read.

View: https://twitter.com/KateWilliamsme/status/1269713381973516290?s=20
There was talk of this being got rid of, when I lived in Bristol as a child..

That was more than a couple of years back now, nothing much has happened since .

If there was a much larger statue alongside celebrating the work of those who abolished slavery.

And commemorating the awful suffering caused by slavery, and racism in general, then perhaps the Colston one could have stayed in context.

As it is, it should probs go in the City Museum, with appropriate 'interpretation' - Banksy could then give it a 'make- over' from time to time.

It's beginning to look as if black people are capable of the finer feelings, of noble sentiments and of suffering much like us! Who knew?

Perhaps in time they might evolve an appreciation of the bicycle?
To be fair we've been going over a lot of this over on the 'T'rump' thread, come over and see..

A lot of it could be lifted straight from there to here.

All lives needlessly lost matter what ever there creed colour or race.
But despite the supposed veracity of this noble sentiment, studies have shown that this has not in fact been the case, in theory or practice for centuries now.

That's what all the 'fuss' is about.

Some lives, are considered by some people, to be more important than others. :blink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom