Hmmm how much is too much..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Yesterday I decided that because the Kinesis is going to be my main steed for the time being I will make it more visible at night. I found some of those snap-bands down the supermarket and decided that they'd be ideal to wrap around the frame to draw attention in the dark. I didnt want to use the stickers, just something less permanent that wouldnt damage the paint.

So I've cut the end off, removed the steel "snap" and cut lengths of the yellow band. I secured them with a translucent cable tie (5mm wide) so the light will glow through it. Seems to work pretty good. I have two "rings" on there - on the downtube and the toptube at the headset end, but wonder how much more I should put on there... I just cant decide, LOL!

I have another 250mm of this stuff left. I think I should put a bit on the back somewhere.

As a side note I have wondered yet again where to get some decent wheel reflectors from. Ones that fit on the bladed spokes of the Aksium. I had trouble finding anything suitable that didnt bend the spokes out of shape so I've wrapped a little 3m black sticker around 3-4 of the front spokes in the hope it does a little to show movement.

It does make me think, can you have overkill in the way of reflectives on a bike?:tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How about underkill. I have zero reflectors on my bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays managed to put the 3M spoke reflectors on his wheel ... they probably don't fit around the flat blades as well as they would around the round ones but they didn't come off last winter. The inside of them isn't round but more reminding me of a philips screwdriver - sort of a cross shape.

15x2tye.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you're handy with a needle and thread, or even just sticky tape...

Look out in Poundshops for their hi-vis vests. The yellow vest material is a pretty flimsy mesh, and would probably tear quite soon, but each one has a couple of strips of decent scotchlite retroreflective tape. Unpick the tape from the vest and you've got a metre or so of it, for a quid. Sew it to clothes, panniers whatever, or just make rings of it to attach round your frame tubes etc.

If you're clever, you can reuse the holes left by the stitching you've unpicked, when sewing it onto stuff.

I've got the 3M strips on my spokes, very eyecatching. Someone on the Scarborough nightride had them too, at speed it looked like he had really deep reflective rims.

For the winter, I go with as much hi-vis and reflective and lights as I can - I'm not giving the buggers the slightest excuse. Of course, I ride defensively too, before someone accuses me of complacency.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
How much is too much ? When you can't pick the bike up any more. I'd concentrate on side visibility after a few recent close shaves with cars pulling out on me.

Paul

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
How about underkill. I have zero reflectors on my bike.

Its alright during the day, but having seen a kid on a bmx a couple of winters back nearly get squished (he had no lights either) I can definaetly see that they work.

Watch at 4.27 of this vid to see how they convey movement:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzrZiQ_sK7g

:laugh:

Cheers Summerdays and Arch. I'll have to track down some of those 3M spoke ones somehow. They're on me shopping list anyway

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The 3m spoke reflectors were in lidl the other week. Might be worth checking if they've got some left.

Paul

Already been down there and they didnt have any. I did buy a red longsleeve jersey though for £6. :tongue:
Amazon was the only place I could find the spoke sticks.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ten quid for 18!

£15 for 36 delivered on amazon.co.uk, or £11.46 for 36 delivered from Germany from roseversand.com.

Well, yes, those are better value - but I just remembered seeing them recently...

And don't forget, with care and a sharp knife, you can cut then in half across, and have double the number of short ones...

Top Bottom