Hmmm, left or right, right or left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Bit the bullet and got the Hybrid (Giants gone). I've yet to get the SPDs sorted out, but I'm just playing around with the seat height/trip computer etc etc.

Pleased with what I've seen so far with the Marin, but the force is strong with the one on the left ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Nice Marin.

Always had a soft spot for them. Don't like the new curvy framed-ones though

OP
OP
L

LLB

It is a road going hybrid 700x28c wheels, carbon forks etc etc. I liked the OCR1 but wanted a change from the prone position - get enough of that on the m/cycle, but the wind lifts your weight off the bars when you get above 40mph

OP
OP
L

LLB

Kenda nylon belted tyres with a directional arrow on them and a rain clearing tread pattern - not slick, and nothing else fancy stamped on them :wacko:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Just interested. Some of the muirwood and fairfax models knocking around weren't so different from mine although I don't have carbon forks or anything like that.

OP
OP
L

LLB

It was an 06 model, knocked down by a silly amount when I went in there a couple of days ago. I've been in and out of the shop for months keeping an eye on it. The temptation was just too much and weakness for shiny things got the better of me :wacko:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
linfordlunchbox said:
a rain clearing tread pattern

really?:wacko::rolleyes:

take the one on the left out. on a private track. quick

OP
OP
L

LLB

hubgearfreak said:
really?:smile::rolleyes:

take the one on the left out. on a private track. quick

As opposed to my old roadie which has fcuk all in the way of grooves and a couple of interesting lockups in the rain later........

Re the one on the left, I do already, and yes it is :wacko:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That Marin does look like a nice bike - I know nothing about the powered kind, so must forego discussion of the one on the left!

(BTW, my experience of Kenda tyres has not been happy - might be worth budgeting for a pair of replacements, depending on where you ride...)

OP
OP
L

LLB

John the Monkey said:
That Marin does look like a nice bike - I know nothing about the powered kind, so must forego discussion of the one on the left!

(BTW, my experience of Kenda tyres has not been happy - might be worth budgeting for a pair of replacements, depending on where you ride...)

Any suggestions ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I use Schwalbe city jets on my hybrid, and I've been happy with them so far - mine are a 32c size though - these tyres have a slight tread and a reflective sidewall.

I used Panaracer Pasela 28C tyres on my old road bike, and thought them really good - they have a slight tread on them, and seemed very resistant to the p* fairy. They do look a bit old fashioned with their gum wall sidewalls though.

If you want to go slicker than that, Wiggle had a decent deal on wire on Conti Ultragators, 2x tyres and tubes for £36 ish. I'm in my second week of using them in 25C on the road bike on my commuting wheels, and am happy so far.

My SCR2.0 came with Kenda tyres, and I had to buy more tubes just to keep being able to ride the bike in to work (I invariably had two to repair at the weekend, if not all four, and never carried less than two tubes with me on a ride). The final straw came at 300 or so miles, where the bead on the rear tyre began to separate from the tyre carcase (once this opens a wide enough gap, the inner tube will forces itself out between rim and tyre, and blow up quite spectacularly).

If you need heavier tread, I can't really help, as my bikes are ridden more or less solely on tarmac... I've also just realised that I'm assuming your wheels are 700c as well!

Edit: Both the city jet and the gators come in 26" sizes - the City Jets are available in a tyre and tube set for £34 ish on Wiggle.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've also been using Bontrager Hardcase lights. No punctures in 2 years, though the Contis are quicker.
I've ridden 25C Racelite XLs (I think) with triple hardcase labelling. They seemed to benefit from high pressure (mine rolled way better at 120 psi than at 100, f'rexample).

I'm very pleased with how good the Gators are though - a really plush ride at the recommended 95psi

Top Bottom