Hola desde Española!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fredo76

Über Member
Hello from Española, New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment (and goatheads)! ;)

I started riding again at age 62 during our first pandemic summer, after realizing that I may not get another summer. I bought a Jamis Citizen 1 with a step-through frame to exercise after my hip replacements, but was advised not to ride it until after the second was completed. (I dislocated my left hip replacement while mounting my Triumph to ride to physical therapy, and then three more times before they re-did it, and the doctor was worried about me crashing...)

Most of my riding experience is from about 45 years ago, when I raced as a teenager in Tucson, Arizona. Our favorite ride was the 9-mile loop drive at Saguaro National Park, hence my avatar, and my only 'bucket list' goal really, to ride around it again, hopefully this spring on a visit. I sure can't ride like I used to, but this year I did manage to get my old racing bike going again.

I built the frame myself in 1976 during my senior in high school, as an apprentice to Colin Laing, a British framebuilder who had just emigrated to Tucson, because of the 3-day work week policy back home, he said. He told me right up front that I could build one, saying that building his first one on the sly in his old boss's shop had ended badly. I could barely endure a few miles in the racing position I used to have, so began modifying the bike until it got fairly Franken...

Then my brother gave me a powdercoat job as a birthday present, and now it's back to the classic look. I even bought new toe-straps. :smile:

Who says you can't go back?

Thanks for looking!

:smile:

postman

Legendary Member
Welcome from a freezing Leeds Yorkshire.The bike looks superb and looking at the frame you must be six four in heoght.That looks like a good 25" or 2 6" frame in old money, it's a whopper,what size is it.Hope you stay,if only for the sunshine photos till May when our sun comes back.

yello

Hola and welcome.

impressive DIY skills, I'm envious. I'd have liked to had a go at frame building myself. My dad was a welder/sheet metal worker so I grew up with an awareness of it.

Tell me, the saddle on your Frankenstein - what is it? I think I've seen that kind of 'drop nose' saddle before but can't think when or where.

OP
OP
Fredo76

Fredo76

Über Member
Welcome from a freezing Leeds Yorkshire.The bike looks superb and looking at the frame you must be six four in heoght.That looks like a good 25" or 2 6" frame in old money, it's a whopper,what size is it.Hope you stay,if only for the sunshine photos till May when our sun comes back.
The frame is 26" (66cm). It has 75/75 angles, and a 39 1/2" wheelbase. I was 6'4", but have since shrunk. :sad:

Have some more sunshine!

OP
OP
Fredo76

Fredo76

Über Member
Hola and welcome.

impressive DIY skills, I'm envious. I'd have liked to had a go at frame building myself. My dad was a welder/sheet metal worker so I grew up with an awareness of it.

Tell me, the saddle on your Frankenstein - what is it? I think I've seen that kind of 'drop nose' saddle before but can't think when or where.
Thanks!

The saddle is a Selle SMP TRK. I really like it, and it is back on, while the Brooks Pro receives The Treatment (R).

I actually have three of them.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome :welcome:

postman

Legendary Member
26" frame what a good guess,my Dawes Super Galaxy was a 25" frame.It is a beautiful bike and the green paint work looks fantastic in the hot sun,it would not look as good in our dreary weather.Please keep posting your ride photos.

Hello from Española, New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment (and goatheads)! ;)

I started riding again at age 62 during our first pandemic summer, after realizing that I may not get another summer. I bought a Jamis Citizen 1 with a step-through frame to exercise after my hip replacements, but was advised not to ride it until after the second was completed. (I dislocated my left hip replacement while mounting my Triumph to ride to physical therapy, and then three more times before they re-did it, and the doctor was worried about me crashing...)

View attachment 619260

Most of my riding experience is from about 45 years ago, when I raced as a teenager in Tucson, Arizona. Our favorite ride was the 9-mile loop drive at Saguaro National Park, hence my avatar, and my only 'bucket list' goal really, to ride around it again, hopefully this spring on a visit. I sure can't ride like I used to, but this year I did manage to get my old racing bike going again.

View attachment 619261

I built the frame myself in 1976 during my senior in high school, as an apprentice to Colin Laing, a British framebuilder who had just emigrated to Tucson, because of the 3-day work week policy back home, he said. He told me right up front that I could build one, saying that building his first one on the sly in his old boss's shop had ended badly. I could barely endure a few miles in the racing position I used to have, so began modifying the bike until it got fairly Franken...

View attachment 619262

Then my brother gave me a powdercoat job as a birthday present, and now it's back to the classic look. I even bought new toe-straps. :smile:

View attachment 619263

Who says you can't go back?

Thanks for looking!

:smile:
:becool::hello::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::hello:

Top Bottom