Home made dropout spacers for transit/flight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Went to my LBS and they didn't have any of the ones they usually give away, and I'm flying on Thursday with bike so had to put my thinking cap on. This was so easy to do, bamboo is very easy to saw to length and takes a skewer perfectly.

bamskew.jpg

dropoutbam.jpg

Hope this helps someone, SJCycles charge about £3 each for these then you have to wait for delivery.

Attachments

• bamskew.jpg
    bamskew.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 227
  • dropoutbam.jpg
    dropoutbam.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 269

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Went to my LBS and they didn't have any of the ones they usually give away, and I'm flying on Thursday with bike so had to put my thinking cap on. This was so easy to do, bamboo is very easy to saw to length and takes a skewer perfectly.

bamskew.jpg

dropoutbam.jpg

Hope this helps someone, SJCycles charge about £3 each for these then you have to wait for delivery.

Ingenious

Thanks for the tip:biggrin:

Attachments

• bamskew.jpg
    bamskew.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 173
  • dropoutbam.jpg
    dropoutbam.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 130
Are they strong enough Dodgy, bamboo is quite brittle isn't it? Very neat idea though.

Anyway where you going, somewhere warm with the bike I bet. Not that I'm jealous or that I won't think of your warm weather as I'm struggling along Telegraph road in the icy wind, oh no....

OP
OP
D

dodgy

It's easily strong enough, put it this way, if there is enough energy to compress the forks together and fracture the bamboo, the frame/forks are going to be toast anyway :P Bamboo is reasonably brittle along its length, but not when you try to compress it (if you see what I mean).

Off to Lanzarote with some local riders Crackle.

Yes, true, it's a compressive force, so they should do the trick nicely.

Have fun in Lanzarote, just in time too, as there's a Siberian blast forecast.

robgul

Legendary Member
... I have a home-made pair using the same concept - but using thin alloy tubing from B&Q (comes in metre lengths for not much money) with a penny washer at each side to but against the inner surface of the dropouts.

Rob

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Another good idea Rob. I just used what I had laying about, it's amazing what you can do with a bit of rummaging around. All the way back from the LBS I was thinking "what do I have in my house/garage to make my own"!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bit of plastic pipe will do too.

Top Bottom