Home Video....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

A bit ot but i have just got a new laptop. Cheap but a vast improvement on my ageing pc, intel pentium dual core, 2 mg ram, 120 gb hard drive, windows home vista,etc

So can i download my home bideos on to it from my sony cam corder, (it records on a dv tape. Store it, and make a copy or two via my dvd rw.
If so will it really bog down my laptops performance and is vista the best way to do this?

We are really only talking about 2-3 hours worth of video per year!

your advice is welcomed.

andy

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Which model Cancorder ?
You should be able to save to an avi format on your PC. Then if you need to turn those into DVD to play on your normal DVD player you will need a DVD burner such as ImToo. Converting a standard movie from avi to DVD take about 2-3 hours with XP (not sure how Vista will compare)

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

its a sony handycam dcr hc24 - i plugged in the usb and tried to import it but windows movie maker doesnt think there is a device connected!!!

i think i am going to regret this!!

andy

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yes, the spec should be fine (though Vista will slow things down). Your machine not recognising the camcorder is probably due to Vista not having the drivers. Have a look at the Downloads section of the Sony site to see if they have them for Vista.

If not (and in any case), I would see if you can install XP instead, then you should have no problem.

Ben

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

ok it would appear by googling it that this is a common problem. vista wont support usb streaming for sony cam corders. only by firewire. only problem is that my new laptop doesnt have afirewire port.........gRRRRRRR

dont know why we bother.

andy

Top Bottom