homemade pasta

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes - just chuck the tagliatelle machine away afterwards. (And stop watching masterchef rich!:laugh:)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have a pasta machine, I've used it a few times, but not for ages. I don't think mine was ever better enough than the bought stuff to be worth the time and mess. That's assuming you make tagliatelle or spaghetti. I suppose the real benefit is in being able to make your own ravioli or tortellini, is it, the little twists filled with stuff? And you don't need a machine for those really, you just have to be able to roll it thin.

rich p said:
What is egg pasta?

Not a bit like fish paste! :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
It's really hard (for me at least) to roll it consistently thin enough for tortellini and ravioli. If I do it by hand it's either far too thick or I get holes in it. At least you get a consistent end result with the machine. But having said that I rarely do it...

True, and it is fun! Just too messy for me to bother with more than once a decade. Also, the pasta machine is stored on top of a tall cupboard, so I never get it down...

barq

I sometimes make pasta. It is quite time consuming, although once you've done it a few times you get very quick and much less messy. You need at least six hands ;) - or be very well organised and work out where to put all the pasta as it comes out the machine. It sticks to itself very easily if you aren't careful.

Egg pasta is quite a good one to start with because the dough is fairly forgiving. Hmm... I think I might make some tonight. :tongue:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I thought all pasta had egg in it!

Anyway, I'm up to my ears in flour, I've just got my hands clean after a comedy, sticky 10 minutes with the dough either stcuk firmly to one or both my hands. I think I may have screwed up on the quantity front as the recipe says, 'add a bit of water if it's too dry'.
It's resting now for 15 minutes before I attempt stage 2.

Top Bottom