Hong Kong

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by cookiemonster, 5 Jul 2019.

1. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Guru

Last edited: 5 Jul 2019
  2. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

Funny how they cry about what China is doing, but still allow any fascist to buy stuff from BAE etc and drop it on hospitals and weddings and stuff.

Andy in Germany and C R like this.
  3. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

If no one in China pays any attention to the UK how does a few words from an electioneering idiot try to look hard give the hardliners in Beijing an excuse, unless they are already looking for one. It is the violence rather than Hunt's words that give them an excuse.

The real problem is not Jeremy Hunt (never thought I'd ever say that) but China who now say the handover agreement is just a historical document, despite the fact it was for a 50 year term.

Unkraut likes this.
  4. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo 'Real Life, and Postcard Views, Europe Endless'

I last went in 2015 when the protesters blocked off Connaught street, it was fairly friendly and the police kept their distance. There was already concern in the late 90s that Beijing would meddle with the basic law although LedgCo seemed more liberal than it is now. I always felt the locals i worked with were glad uk rule was over but nervous about the future.

cookiemonster likes this.
  5. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

I think Hunt ought to ensure he doesn't make a bad situation worse. My opinion of the Grauniad piece was that the Chinese response could be summed up in two words: get stuffed.

6. OP
    OP
    cookiemonster

cookiemonster Guru

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice