Hot weather = idiot drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Why does the hot weather always seem to bring out the idiot in some drivers?? I will never understand it! When I am in the car in hot weather, I just like to wind all the windows down, pop on the radio, and just cruise along at a very relaxing speed.

So anyway, I experienced two incidents yesterday which I am sure were caused by heat + car = idiot driver!

First one, I pulled up at a set of lights in the cycle lane, car to my right started revving and creeping forward as soon as I pulled up... then when the lights change he floored it! He was driving a Ford Mondeo ST220 ... which has a 3 litre, 6 cyclinder, fuel-injected petrol engine with a twin-turbo (in other words, seriously fast) ... and he wanted to race a CYCLIST????? WTF??? Boy, he really put me in my place when he left me for dust ... in a vehicle with an engine that is perhaps two or three thousand times as powerful as my leg muscles ...

Second one - again I am in the cycle lane, car passes me, indicates to turn right into a minor road and stops, waiting to turn (as you do). I am just about to go past, when a nut-job in another car comes flying past me, veers left infront of me (occupying the cycle lane completely), and stops abruptly behind the car waiting to turn right ... there was clearly nowhere near enough room for him to squeeze through on the inside. I have to slam on the brakes, skidding to a halt behind this joker. His window is open, so I shout, "What the hell did you do that for, you cretin?". He looks over his shoulder at me, bemused, and says, "what? Well ... uh ... what?". Then he mumbles something incoherent and goes back to chewing the cud ... absolutely oblivious. No idea that he'd even done something wrong.

I think their concentration in this weather slips even further down the toilet.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I had to slam on the brakes in a similar incident today. Some bloody amateurish pulling out maneuver from their drive. Guy seemed reasonable enough about it in the end but didn't get that splatted cyclist was what I had a problem with rather than say letting him out, which I'd not have had a problem with had he not pulled out so at the last minute and stopped dead. One of those occasions, that I don't being a person who doesn't aggressively swear at drivers, had someone who listened. Rare.

Bman

Guru
Yesterday I was riding along a resedential road, Saw a car reversing out of their drive betwen a line of parked cars. So I slowed to let him out.
I then got overtaken very closely by someone driving with one hand munching a burger!

He then had to stop as the road was blocked by the reversing car. Forcing me to a stop. 50 yards down the road, he parked up. What was the point!?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Almost got totalled TWICE this morning in the sunny weather by idiots!

First I was pedalling away, quick look in the mirror to see what is coming up behind, look up to see black Mercedes estate coming stright at me overtaking other cars. Quick jink left out of primary and I was safe.

Next (and worse IMO) going downhill about 25mph into a 30 zone a bus driver decides to overtake, gets alongside and realises a car is coming towards him, so pulls in again. No where for me to go but the grass! I banged on the side of the coach and almost gave the old dear with the blue rinse sat in the seat nearby a heart-attack. I passed the bus in stationary traffic at a junction and told the driver to take care in future, he looked like he was about to explode and demanded to know what I thought I was doing?

Err, being run off the road by you, you pillock!

potsy

Rambler
I had a lorry overtake me yesterday then start to pull back in way too soon knew he was gonna clip me with his back end so started to brake luckily he just brushed against my handlebar mirror knocking it backwards, was well annoyed to put it mildly. :laugh:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
J4CKO said:
For the record a Mondeo ST220 doesnt have any turbos.

I thought it did! It is fast as buggery though.

Totally agree... Thursday, one car driving at me on wrong side of road, one attempted left hook by a taxi and to cap it all a dopey teenage ped stepping off the pavement into me. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Top Bottom