How are you fixed for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrunner78

See what i did there? ^_^ Do any of you guys do a bit of touring on fixed? I have done some good 60 mile runs on an MTB before :wacko: and plenty with a geared road bike, BUT i did a 30 mile trip on fixed and although i felt ok(ish) i felt like i would like to coast towards the end. Although i ride fixed daily for work i'm not sure if i need to build up to longer rides in general after winter OR build up to longer rides with fixed? Thanks for any input.

If i conquer this i could go fixed full time.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've only ever met one guy touring on fixed, and he was touring ultra-lightweight on fairly level terrain. Must say I like to have the four panniers and some home comforts when I'm on tour for a few weeks, but, whatever turns you on.^_^

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Fixed is fine, just gear appropriately. With fairly heavy panniers and 64" gear I can manage 200km a day without struggling. Very hilly terrain might be different, of course.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not fixed, but I'm aiming for a long weekend singlespeed tour in May, probably in northern France.
I'm not sure it's a terribly sensible idea, but it should be a laugh if nothing else.

D

Deleted member 1258

That's not a tour it's a training ride :thumbsup:
+1 on that.
In the winter I use my fixed, 65 inch gear, on the club rides, somewhere between 50 and 70 miles on a Sunday morning.

tyred

Legendary Member
Back in the 30s - 50s, many people toured without gears. I've recently read a book about cycle touring written in (I guess) the late 1940s and a gear of low 60s is recommended for normal terrain, dropping to mid 50s for hilly terrain. AW hubs should be geared to have a top gear of about 68" for touring. The author didn't recommend derailleur gears, as they are an unnecessary expense and complication....

I've done quite a few 50-60 mile rides on a 63" fixed gear bike in hilly terrain (with some luggage but definitely not a full touring load) at 14 or 15 mph average and I would say it's do-able if you accept that occasionally you will have to walk. I would probably go with SS freewheel for carrying heavy loads in a very hilly area as going down a steep hill on a heavily loaded bike with a low fixed gear could get interesting.

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

Ok Saturday training ride it is. :smile:

Back in the 30s - 50s, many people toured without gears. I've recently read a book about cycle touring written in (I guess) the late 1940s and a gear of low 60s is recommended for normal terrain, dropping to mid 50s for hilly terrain. AW hubs should be geared to have a top gear of about 68" for touring. The author didn't recommend derailleur gears, as they are an unnecessary expense and complication....

I've done quite a few 50-60 mile rides on a 63" fixed gear bike in hilly terrain (with some luggage but definitely not a full touring load) at 14 or 15 mph average and I would say it's do-able if you accept that occasionally you will have to walk. I would probably go with SS freewheel for carrying heavy loads in a very hilly area as going down a steep hill on a heavily loaded bike with a low fixed gear could get interesting.

Like this. I would like a look of that book!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bookmarked for later reading. Where is the envy emote? I have to ride a penny farthing and a recumbent just to add to my 'done that' list. I could imagine the looks as i cycled around in my town.
Keep an eye open for a Cyclemagic try-out event and you could probably tick them both off!!
Other cycling organisations are available :biggrin:

Top Bottom