How bad is sexual abuse in the cinema industry?

I have seen the allegations that Noel Clarke is facing and there are up to 20 women involved. I am just surprised that nothing surfaced until he received he was about to receive his BAFTA for outstanding contribution to UK Cinema.

If BAFTA proceeded with the award despite receiving complaints, it shows a level of complicity within the industry.

I have worked in companies and we do have these issues but these comes our rather quickly and the person is shown the door. If someone did this in the workplace that I have been it will either make the pantry rounds by day 3 or HR is already investigating it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I worked in theatre for a number of years. The workers move around a lot, they're insecure, always looking for the next contract, party hard and there's a LOT of casual sex. Gay, straight and everything inbetween. It's a sexual predator's wet dream but there are also a lot of willing partners.

Eric Olthwaite

Insert witty self-deprecating description here
complicity within the industry
Many in the industry seem perfectly happy to exchange sexual favours for the next gig.
Which encourages sexual predators and creates a toxic environment for everybody else.
And people are too scared to speak up and risk damaging their careers.

Craig the cyclist

The Guardian ran this yesterday.

BAFTA were told two before the awards, but no-one would come forward with any evidence it seems, so they had nothing to go on. The chair of BAFTA said they were ready to pull even on the night, but no-one came forward.

What were they to do I guess?

Eric Olthwaite

Insert witty self-deprecating description here
The Guardian ran this yesterday.

BAFTA were told two before the awards, but no-one would come forward with any evidence it seems, so they had nothing to go on. The chair of BAFTA said they were ready to pull even on the night, but no-one came forward.

What were they to do I guess?
Lack of evidence doesn't seem to bother them when it comes to allegations about politicians.

Craig the cyclist

Lack of evidence doesn't seem to bother them when it comes to allegations about politicians.
Well, I agree.

I can't think why they didn't want to run the story and pull the award to the black actor Noel Clarke. Maybe it was because they had already filmed the clip or had the cup engraved?

Or maybe they were just stuck between in the cleft of 'black actor refused award = institutional racism, he is innocent until proven guilty' and 'unable to verify even the claims of misogyny so give the award = not protecting women' ? I think they were in a terrible position.

I worry you are correct though, would their decision have been easier if it was a different actor?

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
I dont really know, as I'm not in the movie industry. I suspect that in many spheres of endeavour it is much, much worse than Joe and Jane Public realise.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Well, I agree.

I can't think why they didn't want to run the story and pull the award to the black actor Noel Clarke. Maybe it was because they had already filmed the clip or had the cup engraved?

Or maybe they were just stuck between in the cleft of 'black actor refused award = institutional racism, he is innocent until proven guilty' and 'unable to verify even the claims of misogyny so give the award = not protecting women' ? I think they were in a terrible position.

I worry you are correct though, would their decision have been easier if it was a different actor?
The 1970's are not that far away it seems.

Adam4868

Guru
What like Patel or Prince Andrew ? I mean they had the book thrown at them didn't they 🙄

OP
Arrowfoot

Arrowfoot

Guru
It looks like it's getting worse. 7 more that makes 27.

In addition an acting school has now come forward saying that they broke off ties after Clarke held 2 unauthorised classes where students were asked to pose nude. This was some 5 years back. Which suggest that the industry should be aware.

I concede that aspiring candidates are vulnerable and sometimes do things to succeed in this particular industry. The scale of this predatory behaviour is astonishing and BAFTA should have known long time ago. The CEO and Chairman should seriously step down as they are clearly not aware of their own industry. And more alarming is that the award is for lifetime achievement.

byegad

Legendary Member
I dont really know, as I'm not in the movie industry. I suspect that in many spheres of endeavour it is much, much worse than Joe and Jane Public realise.
Nor me.
But, the 'casting couch' was definitely a thing in the first half of the 20th century. One name springs to mind, Fatty Arbuckle, who seems to have had some pretty strange practices. I'm sure there were plenty of others.

Craig the cyclist

why on Earth would you bring skin colour into the discussion?
You grind the same axe time and again. Why not just keep some focus on the OP, rather than bore us with your casual prejudice?
Your posts are why I don’t come in here so much, which I am certain is very pleasing for many.
Your prejudiced crew will be along shortly to shore you up. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.
You really do not think it is relevant? Really? Did you hear his acceptance speech, he seems to think his skin colour is enormously relevant....
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-11...rd-to-my-young-black-boys-and-girls-out-there

They are about to award a huge award to a black actor, if they didn't do it, and it turned out no case to answer what do you think would have happened? My point is that BAFTA were stuck between major hot topics in social and political debate that are both live right now.

@Randomnerd tell us, without wriggling or dodging or using me as a handy excuse. If you had known 2 weeks before of allegations floating around, but despite reaching out could find no-one who would say anything to you, would you have cancelled the award or given the award?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
why on Earth would you bring skin colour into the discussion?
You grind the same axe time and again. Why not just keep some focus on the OP, rather than bore us with your casual prejudice?
Your posts are why I don’t come in here so much, which I am certain is very pleasing for many.
Your prejudiced crew will be along shortly to shore you up. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.
Put me down as a member of the prejudiced crew, but before you do consider the following.

It has been widely accepted the Asian grooming gangs were able to prosper as they did partly due to excessive political correctness by the authorities.

It's only sensible to think about why someone has got away with serial abuse for a long time when it was almost inevitably well known in their industry.

Their colour or race could be a factor, or as in America, the fact they were big hitters with lots of patronage to dispense.

The only 'yawn' here is those who squawk racism at the very mention of race.

Top Bottom