How bad is sexual abuse in the cinema industry?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is little doubt that Noel Clarke has been found guilty before any investigation has started. That makes me suspicious to start with. How can 20 women be produced in an instant, who are willing to make allegations against him? Surely at least one of them would have come forward at the time he assaulted them. That also seems very odd. Whatever the outcome, you can guarantee that his acting career is over.

shep

Veteran
There is little doubt that Noel Clarke has been found guilty before any investigation has started. That makes me suspicious to start with. How can 20 women be produced in an instant, who are willing to make allegations against him? Surely at least one of them would have come forward at the time he assaulted them. That also seems very odd. Whatever the outcome, you can guarantee that his acting career is over.
Doesn't this happen time and time again?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
It does - see Weinstein.

Clarke wasn't just an actor he was a producer too. Stick your head above the parapet and you risk losing work opportunities. I suspect the sort of behaviour alleged here is, in one form or another, pretty commonplace in the TV/Movie industry. Only if it's particularly egregious or, as seems to be the case here, victims connect and say 'me too' does it come to light.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
Come forward and what? Have no-one believe you but end up bad mouthed amongst other producers and casting directors? Never work in TV or film again? End up with a reputation for being 'difficult'?

Many of the allegations are not things you could not necessarily prosecute, but they are certainly inappropriate. It's more likely that once a few allegations surfaced, others felt they could speak out too, without fear of not being believed or losing opportunities.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
slagging people off for being racist daffodils and every slight oppurtinity seems perfectly legitimatee
Raising the possibility that Clarke was not tackled sooner by people who knew what he was up to because they were intimidated by people like you squawking 'racist' at them is not a racist thing to do.

Twenty seven alleged victims - so far - is a lot, which makes it almost inevitable Clarke will have been well known for his wandering hands.

It may be his race played no part in the wall of silence, but only a fool would assert that within days of the allegations coming to light.

Unfortunately yes it does today.
Courts are there for this sort of thing.
Not saying he's innocent but seems to me that the current situation with socialmedia storms is profoundly bad - and am pretty sure that, knowing the way the world is, SOME folks will be storing "incidents" up for future use.

Come forward and what? Have no-one believe you but end up bad mouthed amongst other producers and casting directors? Never work in TV or film again? End up with a reputation for being 'difficult'?

Many of the allegations are not things you could not necessarily prosecute, but they are certainly inappropriate. It's more likely that once a few allegations surfaced, others felt they could speak out too, without fear of not being believed or losing opportunities.
weren't at least some of the incidents things that could be prosecuted?
I appreciate your point that some would have been difficult.
I did by the by scan the guardian article - not nice reading.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
OP
Arrowfoot

Arrowfoot

Guru
The scale shows this beyond Clarke. The industry minders and enablers need to be held accountable and the includes sponsors etc. It was no surprise that some in the media took action within 2 days of this coming out. Good for them.

The focus should not be on Clarke as he will have to answer to the Justice system. Thats a separate issue.

So did I.

According to Clarke's 29 page response, there's an awful lot of women in the acting industry who have poor memories and who routinely get the wrong end of the stick in their dealings with him.

One or two misunderstandings is believable, but not more than 20.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...f-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women
I appreciate that - but am profoundly uncomfortable with trial by media/trial by social media - this is going to become an increasing problem with, I am sure, some real wrongs caused. On both sides of the gender issue.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I appreciate that - but am profoundly uncomfortable with trial by media/trial by social media - this is going to become an increasing problem with, I am sure, some real wrongs caused. On both sides of the gender issue.
That's true in a wider context, but in this case Clarke semi-coughed the job with his apology and stated intention to 'seek help'.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
I do agree we have a 'trial by media' situation these days - the Internet has made that inevitable. On the other hand, the fact that many of these types of these allegations are not criminal offences per se means that victims don't have much in the way of recourse other than using the public domain to voice their experience. And even if they do edge over into criminal behaviour, the conviction rate in sex crime cases is so woeful you can understand the reluctance of girls and women to put themselves through the stress of a legal system which so often fails them.

Top Bottom