How bad is sexual abuse in the cinema industry?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The mainstream media will have been very careful not to allege much in the way of criminal behaviour, and Clarke's lawyers will have been even more careful not to admit any in the apology.

There's not a lot to go at in terms of a criminal prosecution in the allegations published so far.

A grope, even over clothing, is an indecent assault, and some of the stuff with the auditions could be characterised as voyeurism.

But nothing can proceed until such time as a victim makes a statement to police, which appears yet to happen.

The victim would then be automatically anonymous in terms of any press report, but as @AuroraSaab says, there are many reasons why a victim might choose not to make a statement.

Despite the anonymity, everyone in her profession would know who had made a complaint.

One would like to think doing so would not harm her career, but that will be one of many questions for her to wrestle with before deciding on the wisdom of poking her head above the parapet.

Last edited:
I do agree we have a 'trial by media' situation these days - the Internet has made that inevitable. On the other hand, the fact that many of these types of these allegations are not criminal offences per se means that victims don't have much in the way of recourse other than using the public domain to voice their experience. And even if they do edge over into criminal behaviour, the conviction rate in sex crime cases is so woeful you can understand the reluctance of girls and women to put themselves through the stress of a legal system which so often fails them.
I agree that it is problematical.
Most things involving sex are.
Especially when sex and work collide.
I myself have had two instances in my career where "sex" caused issues with female work colleagues/bosses.
In neither instance did I really feel that I could raise the issue,

AuroraSaab

Über Member
I'll just add at this point how hard it is for boys and young men to come forward with similar allegations. It's bad enough for women but it's a very, very brave young man who will come forward - I am sure there are many, especially in sports, who have been subjected to similar incidents but been afraid to speak out. Although his case was more serious than those allegations currently levelled at Clarke, I would think the Barry Bennell case is the tip of the iceberg and there will be many more historic incidents of abuse in sports which will go unheard.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Indeed. And Kevin Spacey's file has been passed to the CPS recently...

What is it with people? Filthy, wandering handed perverts of both sexes. Im glad the sun is finally setting on such culture.

I do agree we have a 'trial by media' situation these days - the Internet has made that inevitable. On the other hand, the fact that many of these types of these allegations are not criminal offences per se means that victims don't have much in the way of recourse other than using the public domain to voice their experience. And even if they do edge over into criminal behaviour, the conviction rate in sex crime cases is so woeful you can understand the reluctance of girls and women to put themselves through the stress of a legal system which so often fails them.
Clarke, and the people that enabled him, would have implied or used the threat of trashing someone on social media and destroying their career to ensure silence.

My wife worked for the BBC, and even as recent as 2005, would be advised by other female colleages not to be alone in edit suites with certain producers and directors. Saville was an open secret amongst even relativly low positioned employees of the beeb, but his, and the othes position was veiwed as untouchable and career suicide to bring forward a complaint.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Crown Court judge acquired a well deserved reputation for wandering hands.

Staff at Durham Crown Court knew when he was sitting so would wear trousers to work for those two weeks, and avoid being on their own with him in his chambers.

A couple of complaints from elsewhere were eventually made.

These were dealt with by the swingeing sanction of early retirement for the judge, no doubt with a made up pension.

dutchguylivingintheuk

I appreciate that - but am profoundly uncomfortable with trial by media/trial by social media - this is going to become an increasing problem with, I am sure, some real wrongs caused. On both sides of the gender issue.
I agree however it is claimed one of the victims tried to go to the police(about being filmed naked without her permission) but they refused act. As showed in varies topic's the Police aren't doing a great job in prosecuting or bringing a case to cps.
so the starting point is getting to Police to be more effective and powerfull in tackling these issues.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
they refused to act, or there was no evidence with which they could progress an investigation?

In my personal experience claims of the former usually actually mean the latter.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Your prior police experience should tell you why; fear, shame, concern that they won’t be believed, embarrassment, even guilt. It’s not odd at all.
Women do come forward and report assaults. I would have thought at least one of the twenty would have come forward straight away. Maybe they did. So why have they all been released at once? Just as he has picked up a BAFTA.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Women do come forward and report assaults. I would have thought at least one of the twenty would have come forward straight away.
Women don't always report these crimes to police. They may confide in a close friend, relative or colleague but refuse to go to the police and the reasons for this can be numerous. But when one woman does report it, or women within the same group discuss the assaults among themselves and realise how widespread it is, it can be a catalyst for those who would otherwise remain silent to come forward.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Women don't always report these crimes to police. They may confide in a close friend, relative or colleague but refuse to go to the police and the reasons for this can be numerous. But when one woman does report it, or women within the same group discuss the assaults among themselves and realise how widespread it is, it can be a catalyst for those who would otherwise remain silent to come forward.
I did not suggest they always report these offences. I know full well they dont. I find it really hard to believe that not one of them reported at the time. But when one had the courage to, then 19 others followed in quick succession. Its a bit of a coincidence.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
I did not suggest they always report these offences. I know full well they dont. I find it really hard to believe that not one of them reported at the time. But when one had the courage to, then 19 others followed in quick succession. Its a bit of a coincidence.
In this case I think it's likely that they didn't report it because his actions might not pass the threshold for criminal behaviour. Also they might have been too embarassed or felt that if word got around they would get a reputation for being difficult and thus not get any more auditions. He was a person of influence and power- on his social media he referred to himself as 'King maker' - there's a good chance those involved felt they wouldn't be believed. There are lots of credible reasons why people don't report sexual harassment or even sexual assault.

Similarly, once one person comes forward it gives others the courage to do so too. This is well known in cases of sexual abuse, especially within the Church, children's homes, schools etc.

Whether Clarke's actions are actually criminal offences remains to be seen, but I'm glad people have found the courage to speak out about harassment. Noteworthy too that several men who have worked with him seem to think he's a douche bag too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why?

What do you think has happened here?

I have no idea. But you would usually hear about these complaints in dribs and drabs. In this case you get 20 on one day and then nothing since. Whether he did it or not. I would think it is going to be hard to prove or disprove. Nobody is going to hire him now, whether he is guilty or not guilty.

Top Bottom