How bad is the A9?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

I'm in the throws of planning my LEJoG route and have already changed my mind several times about which way to go. I didn'tlike the look of the A82. I've driven that and it's quite narrow in places as it follows Loch Ness.

So I'm considering the A9 from Pitlochry to Inverness. It's quite a quick road but it's also wide and open so I'm wondering how bad it can be? Whilst I'd like to spend a few weeks taking my time that's not a practicality so at some stage we need to get our heads down and get some miles done.

What are the views of those who have used the A9?

rualexander

Legendary Member
I wouldn't ride on the A9 itself between Pitlochry and Inverness but the cycle route that parallels it using sections of the old A9, much of it traffic free, and some short sections of typical sustrans cycle path, is a good route. Better than I expected it to be. We used it on our lejog in september.

e-rider

crappy member
I cycled the A82 during LEJOG and found it to be relatively safe compared to many other roads that I used during the trip. However, it only takes one car to cause a fatal accident and that can happen on any road at any moment.

I'd say that the A82 along Loch Ness isn't a road that you need to worry about too much during LEJOG.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I didn'tlike the look of the A82. I've driven that and it's quite narrow in places as it follows Loch Ness.
I'd say that the A82 along Loch Ness isn't a road that you need to worry about too much during LEJOG.

Ahem, LOCH LOMOND!
It is all narrow and windey going up there towards Arochar et al and doesn't look amazingly great to cycle on

Anyway, no, I wouldn't touch the A9 as it is quite a busy and dangerous road by all accounts.

e-rider

crappy member
Ahem, LOCH LOMOND!
It is all narrow and windey going up there towards Arochar et al and doesn't look amazingly great to cycle on

Anyway, no, I wouldn't touch the A9 as it is quite a busy and dangerous road by all accounts.

I didn't do the A82 Loch lomond way (I went via Oban)

but the OP stated A82 along loch ness (which IMO is fine)

aberal

Guru
Avoid the A9, as others have said. I've never cycled it and never would. But the route which follows the old A9 is fine - the downside being that bits of the countryside between Aviemore and Pitlochry is a bit dull. Probably one of the least scenic parts of the Highlands. The Loch Ness route is far more scenic, but you don't have to take the A82 out of Inverness. You can take the B862 to the east of the Loch which is far less busy and in some ways a bit more scenic. Better still, take the minor road which parallels that, the Essich Road. You will hardly see a car and joins the B862 a good few miles out of the town.

When I come down from Inverness back in September, I went from Inverness to the Culloden battle field, then camped just along the B9006 at the Caravan club campsite.

Next day following advice give to me by fellow Cycle Chat members I retraced my route back to the junction of the B851 and B9006, I then followed the NCN 1 Route Southwards then westwards along minor roads to Lyne of Urchany.

Leaving NCN1 I turned South and followed the minor road to Balmore took the left hand turning and followed the old military road to its junction with the B9007 at Burnside. Turned right onto the B9007 and followed to its junction with the A938.

Turned Right and follow A938 to Carrbridge, then left onto the NCN 7 Route then follow to Boat of Garten, Choice of routes here either follow the off road route alongside of the railway, or cycle through the town and then follow the road route to Coylumbridge, good camping at the Caravan club site or B&B in Aviemore.

From Coylumbridge follow NCN7 south to Feshiebridge and on to Kingussie, from Kingussie (Tearooms) the cycle paths are in part off road to Newtonmore (tearoom).

Leave Newtonmore on the B9150 (NCN7) it then follows alongside of the A9 using the old road and sustan cycle path to Dalwhinnie (Tearoom) fro Dalwhinnie the cycle path alongside the A9 up over the pass of Drumochter is a switchback affair which I found to be a pain in the backside.

Once you get to Dalnacardoch Lodge the NCN7 follows the old road and is not bad ride to Calvine, then it follows the B8079 into Blair Atholl, from Bair Atholl the cycle path the river edge to Killiecranke, but I chose to follow the B8079 instead into Pitlochry.

Its not the fastest of routes, but apart form the route over the Pass of Drumochter, it was a nice ride, the ride over the pass was worsened because I was cycling into high winds and heavy rain

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

The Pitlochry to Aviemore route I've plagiarised from this route posted by amaferanga a couple of years back. It avoids Fort William and also the A9/A99 coastal route.

http://www.bikely.co...ock-to-Aviemore

It uses some of road which runs parallel with the A9 in parts but even the bits that are on the A9 look a safer bet than the A82.

snorri

Legendary Member
One thing I've learned since posting on cycle forums, is the vast differences in tolerance diifferent cyclists have to road traffic noise, exhaust fumes and brushibng of elbows by fast passing traffic. This makes me loathe to offer advice to people I don't know, but heyho here we go some thoughts...
1 Going by Crieff introduces some climbing.
2 You might consider taking the side road from Logierait to Pitlochry rather than cutting back to Balinluig to join the A9. (Although there are a couple of eateries at Balinluig)
3 Perhaps go into Dalwhinnie and just north of the village take a right following the old road to Crubenmore Lodge.
4 Divert into Newtonmore and through Kingussie.
The loops in 3 & 4 add very little mileage, are well surfaced and are just so much more pleasant than cycling on the A9.
Of course, if time is of the essence, the A9 is the way to go.:smile:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Some of the cycle path is being resurfaced in the new year, but another section is going to be closed off for most of 2011 lejog season while a section of the road is rebuilt to dual carriageway. See here

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

One thing I've learned since posting on cycle forums, is the vast differences in tolerance diifferent cyclists have to road traffic noise, exhaust fumes and brushibng of elbows by fast passing traffic. This makes me loathe to offer advice to people I don't know, but heyho here we go some thoughts...
1 Going by Crieff introduces some climbing.
2 You might consider taking the side road from Logierait to Pitlochry rather than cutting back to Balinluig to join the A9. (Although there are a couple of eateries at Balinluig)
3 Perhaps go into Dalwhinnie and just north of the village take a right following the old road to Crubenmore Lodge.
4 Divert into Newtonmore and through Kingussie.
The loops in 3 & 4 add very little mileage, are well surfaced and are just so much more pleasant than cycling on the A9.
Of course, if time is of the essence, the A9 is the way to go.:smile:

Thanks (to all). Very useful. I'll have a look at your suggestions snorri.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've cycled up the A9 five times. I take the 'old A9' where it runs parallel, thorugh Bankfoot and Pitlochry and Aviemore and Killiecrankie and Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore and Kingussie, and Aviemore and a really odd little diversion from Moy onward, and it's fine. There are bits where you're thrown on to the 'new' A9, but these aren't exactly tough - compared to the A21, say, and nothing like the A3.

The fast open bits are a bit like the A4 west of Newbury, if that's in your part of the world....

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

I've cycled up the A9 five times. I take the 'old A9' where it runs parallel, thorugh Bankfoot and Pitlochry and Aviemore and Killiecrankie and Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore and Kingussie, and Aviemore and a really odd little diversion from Moy onward, and it's fine. There are bits where you're thrown on to the 'new' A9, but these aren't exactly tough - compared to the A21, say, and nothing like the A3.

The fast open bits are a bit like the A4 west of Newbury, if that's in your part of the world....

Thanks.

When I did London to Paris last year we inadvertently ended up on the A3 just outside of Portsmouth cycling on a gravel covered strip of concrete about 8" wide to the left of traffic doing 80mph. That's the one time I've been scared on a bike. We'll be a group of 6 so hopefully visible ffor those bits where we do have to touch the A9.

I'm going to map the route using every available alternative but where we have to we'll get on it.

welshdragon

hi there

Last July I cycled along the A9 then A99 all the way from Perth to the end up in JoG. It took our group 2 days from Perth and it is the quickest route really as we were on a 7day trip. Personally the road was absolutely fine from my point of view, very wide and of no problems with traffic. I understand everyone not as confident in traffic etc and prefer paths but if you can cycle on the main A30 in cornwall, I guess u can cycle anywhere. The biggest problem was a headwind out of Pitlochry and its uphill for miles on end, not steep but difficult in weather we had, we just cycled at not much pace for a long time. Anyway cant comment on alternative routes so all the best on whichever way u take.

Top Bottom