How Can I Afford...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I've only been around here for a short time, but one of the comments I've seen crop up a couple of times has been from new riders who get addicted to buying new kit, especially from commuters trying to balance out the cost of fuel and then spending more on stuff.

I don't know how handy other people would find this, but I've made a rudimentary spreadsheet which gives a target to aim for. It works the same way as the old Church tower barometers.

If it's of use to anyone on these boards, you can find it here. Personally I found it useful when debating whether or not it was worth investing in another new bike. Basically enter your details into the lighter shaded boxes and it'll tell you how many days you need to commute by bike to be able to pay off thenew purchase.

Sorry, but the graph may have a hissy fit in Office 2003 and OpenOffice. Just drag the graph out the way and the spreadsheet will tell you how many more days you need to cycle.

dudi

you've missed off the savings in parking charges for those of us not lucky enough to have a free parking space at work.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

dudi said:
you've missed off the savings in parking charges for those of us not lucky enough to have a free parking space at work.

Good point.

It's not meant to be 100% accurate, only a guideline. However a bit of feedback on here would be nice and I will adapt the form to make it more usable by more people.

I'll add the parking into version 0.2

Top Bottom