How can this be VED exempt ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
A guy who lives near me has one of these:

8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40a3d4960a3fa1f897b6705d852a5a5cc69.jpg

Walked past the other day and noticed that it has a Nil Disabled tax disc on it. For one he doesn't look very disabled, he walks a very large dog twice a day so no mobility problems there. He has a normal car on his drive but i couldn't see the tax disc on it. So how does that work ? Can you specify which vehicle you apply your tax exemption to ? Doesn't seem to be entirely in the spirit of things to me.

mark barker

It comes down to your definition of disabled... I know of a "disabled" person that has tax exemption and their disability is being deaf. Also it depends who is in receipt of the benefit. I sometimes drive my mums car, and she is registered disabled so has tax exemption.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
You may be entitled to a free tax disc if you're a disabled person who gets the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, War Pensioners Mobility Supplement or you have an invalid carriage.

Using the vehicle
To claim exemption from paying vehicle tax, the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee).

The vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions.

If it is being used by the nominee or someone else for their own personal needs, then the exemption will be lost. If you no longer qualify for vehicle tax exemption, you will need to tax your car in the appropriate tax class and pay the correct rate of vehicle tax.

siadwell

Guru
My dad had renal failure and needed to dialyse every 4 hours. Without his motor caravan, anything other than short trips would have been very difficult.

He didn't apply for a disabled badge or VED exemption for it, but he did once or twice swing a preferential parking space as he couldn't be too far from the vehicle.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I remember reading in the paper that some poor swine got attacked a few years back.It was all because another driver thought he had the right to diagnose the guys disabiity.

One of the Managers in our place has the exemption I think, she has renal failure too.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I understand the whole tax exempt disabled thing, I'm just surprised that you can apply it to a 40 grand 3.5 litre holiday home.

Top Bottom