How come a lot of Cyclist are unaware of Roadsafe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalog

Über Member
I have had a chat with a number of Cyclists on the Road or at work but it seems that none of those I spoke to are aware of Roadsafe London. This morning a young lad got nearly taken out by a Taxi doing a U turn and when I spoke to him he's never heard of it and this Incident wouldn't have been reported. I reckon if more people knows about this website the road will become safer for everybody.
Just yesterday I white Audi overtook me so closely I could have touched the wing mirror without trying.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DLyYNz2cQ

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's not been advertised. When I met the officers that run it. I was told a. It's for anyone to use. B. The it team had mucked something up. C. Most of the reports they are getting are from cyclists.

I did raise the point of advertising with them, I can't remember the reply I got but there was something about the future in it.

How did you find out about it? I expect from a forum or blog post. How many cyclists visit these regularly?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Never heard of it and I probably do more cycle commuting miles then the average cycling commuter.

It might help if the sticky in commuting was called "RoadsafeLondon - reporting poor road users" (or something similar) as opposed to what we currently have "Reporting mobile use while driving".

I imagine the Met wanted a soft launch for the trial as they only have finite resources to deal with a potentially high volume of complaints.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It might help if the sticky in commuting was called "RoadsafeLondon - reporting poor road users" (or something similar) as opposed to what we currently have "Reporting mobile use while driving".

I imagine the Met wanted a soft launch for the trial as they only have finite resources to deal with a potentially high volume of complaints.

Aha righto..

Yup, can imagine if this was high profile there would be an inundated call centre going mad somewhere

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I have had a chat with a number of Cyclists on the Road or at work but it seems that none of those I spoke to are aware of Roadsafe London. This morning a young lad got nearly taken out by a Taxi doing a U turn and when I spoke to him he's never heard of it and this Incident wouldn't have been reported. I reckon if more people knows about this website the road will become safer for everybody.
Just yesterday I white Audi overtook me so closely I could have touched the wing mirror without trying.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=U8DLyYNz2cQ

My god, that taxi drivers right dangerous, seriously couldnt give a hoot about you and the other cyclist, could have been worse. What a dic*head!

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member

+1 A sticky with this heading is more appropriate. I know there is another Website, SMIDSY, being run by CTC but its not very user friendly compare to Roadsafe.

I suppose its a question of manpower and funding to run this site so they don't advertise.

The only trouble is the taxi was signalling as soon as the footage is played and if you know anything about taxi drivers you may know that they may get impatient and do something like that.

Not saying it is right just that it's a fact about cycling in London.Also that doesn't only apply to cab drivers

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
My god, that taxi drivers right dangerous, seriously couldnt give a hoot about you and the other cyclist, could have been worse. What a dic*head!

Nope, he didn't care at all. Needless to say I reported him to Roadsafe hopefully they will do something about it.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Pass it on to the PCO who'll ignore it?

Back to the OP - the only place I've seen it mentioned is on here once or twice, otherwise I'd be completely ignorant of it.

As far as I can remember I only came across this website because I was reading about "reporting drivers on mobile phone". I think I also saw it on Bikeradar.

Top Bottom