How did you get married?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Just curious as to how you guys celebrated your nuptials...church? Registry do? Up a mountain? On a beach?

Tetedelacourse

Melvil, are you sharking? :biggrin:

We got married in church. A bit silly really, never been inside one since, nor before in my adult life apart from the obligatory few sermons to get to know the minister. We both have a faith of some sort but not the church-going sort. It seemed right for us though. Certainly made the occassion seem grander, more reverential, although that was only secondary.

Stan

Should the question be "why?". Got married in a Church, spent a fortune, hated every moment, got divorced.

Never again (but don't tell the prospective Mrs Stan!)

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Tetedelacourse said:
Melvil, are you sharking? :biggrin:

We got married in church. A bit silly really, never been inside one since, nor before in my adult life apart from the obligatory few sermons to get to know the minister. We both have a faith of some sort but not the church-going sort. It seemed right for us though. Certainly made the occassion seem grander, more reverential, although that was only secondary.

Tete, your leetspeak is getting me all confused...what is sharking?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
In a council office in Japan - we went on our bikes and then were sent away for a day whilst the bureaucrats debated whether I was allowed to have a Japanese name or not... we did eventually get married the next day and then had a semi-traditional wedding party (in kimono, but not in traditional wedding gear) in the community where we were living at the time. I'll try to dig out a photo.

Willow

Melvil said:
Just curious as to how you guys celebrated your nuptials...church? Registry do? Up a mountain? On a beach?

Church not particularly religious but had sung at said church for 30 years before getting married (was minus 9 when I started!) so it was a simple but lovely musical occasion with many friends around. We had traditional service and learnt our vows off by heart (mind you I'd sung at thousands of weddings so knew them already!). I did the obey bit so had no choice but to agree to the divorce! No regrets though lovely wedding lovely marriage, great kids unforuntately Mr Willow disagreed.

Tetedelacourse

Melvil said:
Tete, your leetspeak is getting me all confused...what is sharking?

YOU know Melvedere. Stop acting all :biggrin:

On the pull, surveying the land for single young unsuspecting madamoiselles ;)!

Forced into it- here
img2003040717283907.JPG

had to eat tons of food and consume vast quantities of vin - here

Had to take up cycling as a consequence :biggrin: and ended up here...

Being slowly poisoned with Covonia now...:biggrin:

...and beaten up on a reg. basis.;)

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Tetedelacourse said:
YOU know Melvedere. Stop acting all ;)

On the pull, surveying the land for single young unsuspecting madamoiselles :girl:!

Rumbled! ;)

No, there is a serious purpose to all this...I'm sure the nominally awake will realise the vague impetus of my thoughts :smile:

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Flying_Monkey said:
In a council office in Japan - we went on our bikes and then were sent away for a day whilst the bureaucrats debated whether I was allowed to have a Japanese name or not... we did eventually get married the next day and then had a semi-traditional wedding party (in kimono, but not in traditional wedding gear) in the community where we were living at the time. I'll try to dig out a photo.

That's rather interesting...informal kimono, FM, very curious! Also interesting that they had to debate about japanese names...I assume they don't allow them to be given sometimes, then?

In the Palace of Matrimony no. 1, on the Angliskaya Naberezhnaya in St. Petersburg. This was the first Palace of Matrimony to open in Russia after demand for secular rituals to replace church ones increased in the 1950s. Under communism prior to this, marriage was a suspect bourgeois institution, and you got "married" (or divorced) by signing a form at the local Civil records office and it took about 5 minutes. However people wanted more, and so the Palace of Matrimony phenomenon started.

Palace of Matrimony no. 1 was built in a real palace that had belonged to an exiled nobleman (who himself had been married 8 times). It was amazing - all gilt mirrors and marble staircases.

Later, at the reception, my academic supervisor from LSE made a nice speech, during which he revealed that he had written his Master's thesis on the rise of the secular ritual in the Soviet Union 35 years ago, and had researched it in that very Palace of Matrimony.

Top Bottom