How difficult is it to build a Halfords bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MighyG

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new bike. My LBS have a merida speeder T3 (last years model) for £500 when the price last year was £700 ish.

However I was looking to only spend around £300 for a bike. Looking around the Halfords Carrera 1 is available online for £199

Question is how difficult would it be for me to build a bike which would be delivered by Post ? I used to take my bikes apart and put them together when I was a kid, but thats 30 years ago now so not sure if things are a lot more complicated today

What sort of things if any are difficult ?

Or does anybody think I should bite the bullet and buy the Merida ?

thanks

Paul

OP
OP
M

MighyG

Just done the Halfords Q&A and can see that they would actually build the bike anyway ! So I suppose the only question is does anyone think the merida is such a bargain that it shouldn't be missed ?

thanks again

paul

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Assuming you're buying new, then Halfords do a free build anyway.

You can buy online and have it delivered to your nearest shop, where they will build for you.

They'll also do a free first service.

Carrera and Boardman bikes are well-regarded. It's the unpredictable Halfords aftercare that let's them down, but if you're prepared to tinker with a bike yoruself, you can't do wrong with a Carrera.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Moodyman said:

You can buy online and have it delivered to your nearest shop, where they will build for you.

Carrera and Boardman bikes are well-regarded. It's the unpredictable Halfords aftercare that let's them down, but if you're prepared to tinker with a bike yoruself, you can't do wrong with a Carrera.

+1 my subway is a rock solid commuter and has taken a lot of abuse and mileage with just normal wear and tear

Mark_Robson

I have bought two Carrera bikes from Halfords and set them up myself. It's very simple as the gears are set up in the factory so all you should need to do is attach the front wheel and straighten and tighten the handle bars.

OP
OP
M

MighyG

thanks guys, looks like i'm going for the carrera then, comes in under mu budget so i can load myself up with panniers and other goodies !

jay clock

Massive member
I have a 2005 Carerra Subway 1 and it is SUPERB. One of 6 bikes so gets rare usage now, but an excellent all rounder. To be fair I have upgraded all the drivetrain and the wheels, but the concept is fantastic and it will work well as a tourer, plus I have done 60+ mile road rides on it.

OP
OP
M

MighyG

bike ordered online and due to pick up tomorrow in Bristol Halfords, happy days !

Vincealot

is that the Halfords on Winterstoke Road? I used ot work in PC WOrld next door. Enjoyed my 3 year spell in Bristol when I in my early 20's

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Moodyman said:

I can vouch for that, my bike is a Carrera and I love it.

OP
OP
M

MighyG

just been out for a 12 mile ride on the bike and had a great time. The brakes need asjusting (front and back were rubbing slightly) so thats something I'll get done this afternoon. Haven't got the manual with me though and the breaks look different to the ones I used to adjust years ago, so a bit of head-scratching looks in order.

Bought a rear rack and some bar ends, also fitted my garmin etrex hcx (going to take a month to work out how to use that though !)

Top Bottom