How do I brake???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

Pull the brake levers, duh...

But, what is the preferred way of braking on a cycle? I'm serious :tongue:

So far I have been planning ahead, applying the back brake only, and adding the front brake only if I need a bit extra. It just seemed the right way but is this good, or is it better to brake equally with both? Or something else? Are there different techniques for on the flat and downhill, road and trails? I'm guessing there are :/

I feel like a bit of a nob asking this q, but I guess I've got to start somewhere...

JNR

Pull the brake levers, duh...

But, what is the preferred way of braking on a cycle? I'm serious :tongue:

So far I have been planning ahead, applying the back brake only, and adding the front brake only if I need a bit extra. It just seemed the right way but is this good, or is it better to brake equally with both? Or something else? Are there different techniques for on the flat and downhill, road and trails? I'm guessing there are :/

I feel like a bit of a nob asking this q, but I guess I've got to start somewhere...

Your front brake has the most control. If you 'over' brake at speed, say in a group, if you do that on the front brake you are in trouble, the rear wheel will lift into that air. I tend to use the front mostly and the rear if I need to. Whatever you do it doesn't really matter so long as it is controlled. Just check wear on the brake pads every month or so!

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I am not an expert, but I think lots of factors have to be taken into account, speed, downhill, flat, bike weight ratio etc, I just know that i brake differently in different circumstances on my two very different bikes...But on NO account ever, just use the front brake - I've only done it once!

I'm a bit of a nervous descender but I use the rear to feather my braking (control my speed) but the front when I actually want to stop. It similar for me on all terrains, the balance varies slightly but its something you cant really explain it just develops and over time except for downhill I probably use the front brake more.

edindave

Über Member
According to Cyclecraft you should always use both brakes.

Front brake has the most stopping power. Too much will pivot you over the handle bars.

Rear brake should be applied first, then front brake, so that a slight skid at the rear will warn you if the bike is going to tip you over the bars.

Quicker you brake - less useful the rear brake becomes and more likely to skid.

Rear brake only will take twice the distance to stop the bike as front brake only.

Rear brake skid is a lot easier to control than a front brake skid.

Front brake skid more likely due to oil, gravel, other slippery conditions.

OP
OP
abo

abo

Thanks guys some useful reading, really appreciate the advice

If you shift your weight appropriately, and tension your arms, I don't think there should be problem with extreme front-brake only braking. Then as others have said ... front gives you stopping power, you're unlikely to recover from front-wheel skids, you need to adapt to road conditions etc.

aberal

Veteran
I'm a bit of a nervous descender but I use the rear to feather my braking (control my speed) but the front when I actually want to stop. It similar for me on all terrains, the balance varies slightly but its something you cant really explain it just develops and over time except for downhill I probably use the front brake more.

+1 Me too, that's exactly what I do. It's an instinct in time and impossible to explain. What I would say is ignore Sheldon Brown (mostly). I am of the opinion that he is talking complete and utter bollox (IMHO). Consider his "exceptions" to the front braking only rule:
Slippery surfaces. On good, dry pavement, unless leaning in a turn, it is impossible to skid the front wheel by braking. On slippery surfaces, however, it is possible. A front wheel skid almost always leads to a fall, so if there is a high risk of skidding, you're better off controlling your speed with the rear brake.<li>Bumpy surfaces. On rough surfaces, your wheels may actually bounce up into the air. If there is a chance of this, don't use the front brake. If you ride into a bump while applying the front brake, the bicycle will have a harder time mounting the bump. If you apply the front brake while the wheel is airborne, it will stop, and coming down on a stopped front wheel is a Very Bad Thing.

...and you have a decent description of most UK roads! He omits also gravelly surfaces, loose stones and the like, leftovers from the winter gritting which litter our gutters and our junctions. Brake with the front only on that and you will quickly find yourself flat out on that surface!

Rear brake should be applied first, then front brake, so that a slight skid at the rear will warn you if the bike is going to tip you over the bars.

+1 Been doing this since I was a kid, after reading something by a bloke called Barry Sheene on how he braked.

Also feather rear on descents to control speed.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Always stop with the front brake. As others have said, you have twice the stopping power with the front brake than you do the rear.
If you learn how to use the front brake properly then you will not have issues with the rear wheel lifting, front wheel skidding or going over the handle bars. Moderation and body position/ stiffness is key.
I use the rear brake for speed control. In an emergency stop situation it is next to useless.

byegad

Legendary Member
Brake on the straight and upright. Front brake does the real work and rear is used a little for an added feeling of stability. Under heavy braking the rear does nothing as it has next to no weight on it due to weight transference.

Top Bottom