How do I check if a bike's stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icebergx

Hi all,

Can anyone describe the main things to look for (physical marks, etc.) that may indicate a bike is stolen?
Is there a website (or any other means) where you can type a serial/frame number, and check if a bike is stolen? I'd like to be able to check categorically if a bike has been reported stolen (if possible)

Thanks.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd ask for receipts, maybe some general questions about cycling, that sort of thing.

OP
OP
I

icebergx

Thanks for that.
I was thinking more along the lines of tangible certainty (some kind on on-line serial no. search) and physical identifying marks/indicators.

Llama

Veteran
if its a bike you have looked at - and you seem a little unsure, then it prob is nicked - move on and find another

Zippy

Scratch marks.gouges in the paintwork where a cycle lock may have been twisted against the frame to break it?

Check frame number against local police station - do they still keep a log of nicked bikes? They used to.

Any genuine person would allow you to take the frame number and get back to them.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Zippy said:
Scratch marks.gouges in the paintwork where a cycle lock may have been twisted against the frame to break it?

Check frame number against local police station - do they still keep a log of nicked bikes? They used to.

Any genuine person would allow you to take the frame number and get back to them.

Yep and just asking for the frame No may give you your answer without any further work

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
icebergx said:
Hi all,

Can anyone describe the main things to look for (physical marks, etc.) that may indicate a bike is stolen?
Is there a website (or any other means) where you can type a serial/frame number, and check if a bike is stolen? I'd like to be able to check categorically if a bike has been reported stolen (if possible)

Thanks.

Be suspicious if the seller doesnt want to meet U at their home address.Gauge their reaction to your writing down the serial number.Obviously if the number is absent then its definitely nicked.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Have a look in the shed - if it's not there, it's been stolen:wacko:

Sorry:blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Banjo said:
Be suspicious if the seller doesnt want to meet U at their home address.Gauge their reaction to your writing down the serial number.Obviously if the number is absent then its definitely nicked.

I've been wondering about selling my kids old bikes and was wondering about not meeting them at the house so that they didn't know where the next size up bikes were - but you are saying that would sound suspicious?:blush: Though I wouldn't mind giving out the serial number.

summerdays said:
I've been wondering about selling my kids old bikes and was wondering about not meeting them at the house so that they didn't know where the next size up bikes were - but you are saying that would sound suspicious?:blush:

I am with you on this Summerdays, I would never think it was good practice to meet a potential buyer at your home, because it gives a potential thief a chance to scope your kit out and perhaps come back later...when you are not around. Maybe that kind of thing happens more with motor vehicles, but then again, I'd rather not risk it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
2Loose said:
I am with you on this Summerdays, I would never think it was good practice to meet a potential buyer at your home, because it gives a potential thief a chance to scope your kit out and perhaps come back later...when you are not around. Maybe that kind of thing happens more with motor vehicles, but then again, I'd rather not risk it.

Thats a good point that I hadnt considered .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Damn right! I would NEVER sell a bike from home, I wouldn't want anybody to know what was in my garage.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The two biggest clues are always going to be that it's suspiciously cheap and that the seller doesn't know much about it.

Top Bottom