How do I compare the gearing of these two bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boris Bike

Apologies if I have this wrong - quite new to this.

Cannondale CAADX 5 105 has a 12-25 cassette, and a 36/46 chain ring.

Boardman CX Team has a 11-25 cassette, and a 34/50 chain ring.

So does that me the Boardman has both an easier lowest gear (34/25) and a tougher highest gear (50/11)?

Thanks in advance

[QUOTE 1497868"]
if the wheel is 700cc on both bikes then yes you are correct.
[/quote]

actually the wheel size on both bikes is 622c so no, he is actually not incorrect.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lowest and highest gear inch for each bike
Cannondale
lowest - 37.8
highest 100.7

Boardman
lowest - 35.7
highest - 119.5

The boardman has the lowest and highest gear of the two, but maybe not the better range.

GrasB

Veteran
"highest - 119.5 ........100.7"I don't know about you lot but I relate far better to 4.56 versus 3.83 (50/11 and 46/12).
I have one bike with a 700x23c drive tyre & a the highest gear is 4.58, another bike has uses a 650x23c tyre for drive with a top gear of 4.91. On which bike will I spin out first on... & how did you work it out?

OP
OP
Boris Bike

Boris Bike

Thanks all. I'm off to count teeth on my current mountain bike to see how they compare - although I can't get into the top gear on the cassette, and the chain ring needs a bit of assistance from my shoe to drop down to the bottom :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm guessing you worked it out then Gaz ;)

yes and no
thumbsup.png

albion

Guru
<br />I have one bike with a 700x23c drive tyre &amp; a the highest gear is 4.58, another bike has uses a 650x23c tyre for drive with a top gear of 4.91. On which bike will I spin out first on... &amp; how did you work it out?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Methinks you had best ask gaz about his 'assumptions'

byegad

Legendary Member
Download K gear from Kinetics of Glasgow and input the numbers for each bike and your mountain bike (Launch three copies of K gear) then you can compare them easily.

Top Bottom