How do I get better at cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You can probably get to 75% of your potential by just going out and riding your bike and enjoying it. That's enough for most people

If you want to get some of that remaining 25% you need to do more complicated structured training. This is hard work and requires some dedication. It doesn't suit everyone

If I were you I would ride my bike and enjoy it. If, having done so for several months you feel you want to go a bit faster you will need to do some structured training. There is loads on the internet about how to do this. But for now, just ride and enjoy it

vickster

Legendary Member
Being able to cycle faster and endure longer distances.
Join a club. Chasing faster riders over longer distances will make you faster and ride longer distances.

Or you'll hate that and just start to enjoy your cycling for what you're able to do :okay: (which will likely increase the more you do it ;) )

dragonsnapper

I started cycling 3 years ago in April when I turned 70. At the end of the year I had ridden 4000miles, the longest being 101 miles. On my first ride I rode just over 20 miles and was so pleased I took a photo of the village I rode to. That village is now part of the shortest ride I do! I don’t give advice but in my case I enjoyed cycling and I ride as far as I feel like on the day.
On the downside I’m sitting here with a fractured pelvis after coming off last week.

Sharky

Guru
I started cycling 3 years ago in April when I turned 70. At the end of the year I had ridden 4000miles, the longest being 101 miles. On my first ride I rode just over 20 miles and was so pleased I took a photo of the village I rode to. That village is now part of the shortest ride I do! I don’t give advice but in my case I enjoyed cycling and I ride as far as I feel like on the day.
On the downside I’m sitting here with a fractured pelvis after coming off last week.
Well done on your cycling and wish you a steady recovery. I know exactly what you are going through.

icowden

Veteran
30km means you are mostly there. I took the route of starting to do sportives like London to Brighton, New Forest ride. They are friendly, mostly car free, and good fun. You can be full on MAMIL and see how fast you can do it, or you can compare cakes at the rest stops. Horses for Courses...

I totally agree with @vickster though, my BiL has started cycling with a group from our local cycle shop and is enjoying riding as a group, and has built a lot of speed an stamina. I'm not sure whether that's my thing yet. I may enquire if they have a slower group!

boydj

Legendary Member
I am a beginner cyclist so far the maximum distance that I have managed to do is 30km in one go. How do I get better at cyclist and be able to endure longer distances while still maintaining speed?

Go a little slower to go longer and the extra distance will come. Once you've got the extra distance, the speed will go up again as your endurance improves.

Trek_Girl

Regular
I've been cycling now for 3 months but for some reason on my mountain bike I feel that I dont seem to pick up speed. I dont have a great need to go fast but it's something I notice on every ride. And also I feel like I'm having to keep stopping to catch my breath. I dont cycle daily and sometimes a week can go by. Someone advised me to get a bike trainer.. would that be a good idea?

icowden

Veteran
I've been cycling now for 3 months but for some reason on my mountain bike I feel that I dont seem to pick up speed. I dont have a great need to go fast but it's something I notice on every ride. And also I feel like I'm having to keep stopping to catch my breath. I dont cycle daily and sometimes a week can go by. Someone advised me to get a bike trainer.. would that be a good idea?

It would be better to try an incorporate your bike into your daily routine more. If commuting on it isn't an option, you can do things like use the bike instead of the car when you need to nip to the local shop to get something for example. You might also be finding that your mountain bike is just heavy. The suspension and doo-dads can add up to a lot of weight. My big MTB folder is about 15-16kg. I now have a nice road bike which is about 6kg lighter and the difference is amazing.

Of course in my case I could do with optimising myself a lot more...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been cycling now for 3 months but for some reason on my mountain bike I feel that I dont seem to pick up speed.
If you have big knobbly-treaded tyres on your bike then that really wouldn't help your speed on tarmac. If you DO have knobblies and are mainly riding on roads then it might be worth putting lighter semi-slick or slick tyres on instead.

Some people have 2 sets of wheels - one with slicks and one with knobblies. That way they can quickly switch to the better type of tyre for road/offroad.

Semi-slick are a good compromise if you don't want to faff about and won't be doing serious offroad.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You'll get more of a workout per mile riding an MTB on knobbly tyres than you will on a road bike. Speed and the amount of effort put in are not necessarily the same thing. Last week I rode a 19 mile route on my Raleigh tourer then did another six miles on top. I felt less tired after 25 miles than the previous time I just rode the 19 mile route on my MTB, and I was noticeably faster on the tourer. The difference is the MTB required more energy input to propel it around. In terms of calorie burning and exercise the MTB ride would have been more beneficial as I had to work harder for it.

boydj

Legendary Member
As well as the tyres, the suspension on a MTB can be very energy-sapping. Compared to a road bike the gearing is very low, so even in top gear you're not making great progress. A hybrid or a road bike would make a big difference.

Top Bottom