How do I get this off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just bught a new SRAM 8 spd cassette and there is a plastic sleeve and cap that sits inside the centre of the cassette and stops the lock ring and the first two cogs comming off. I've never seen one of these before and I can't for the life of me work out how to get it off. There isn't room to get a standard lock ring tool in, any suggestions on how to remove it?

Zoiders

It's probably just pushed in.

Push it out, it cant be threaded into anything, just check there is not an expander wedge holding it in.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I can only presume that the sleeve is there to hold the cassette together before you fit it onto the hub. Are there any lugs that hold the sleeve onto the cassette, or elastic bands or such like? Campagnola cassettes are held together this way before fitting.

nr.

If it's anything like an Apex cassette, just squeeze together the two black plastic legs and the whole lot falls out of the middle. It's only there to stop it falling apart in the box.

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
Thanks for the replies.

Zolders - I've tried just pushing it out and it just doesn't budge. There's not even any play in it front or back.

Paulus, nr. - As far as I can tell its appears to be completely smooth on the inside, no sign of lugs or such like that I can see. Will have to have another look tonight after work.

To be honest this is the first time I've bought a cassette from CRC and it's come in a box rather than just held together with plastic wrapping and sticky tape so I feel a bit thick for not being able to get the damn thing off.

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member

Thanks Zoiders, it sounds like it could be a speed loader but there are no splines on it (Figure 1 close up), the inside and the edges are completely smooth and overlap the centre of the back cog by a good few mm.

I didn't get chance to have another look at it last night, will do tonight. Will take some pics and upload to let you knowledgeable lot have a ganders at if I still can't get the think off.

PeterD

Hi
If its any help we build bikes with 10 speed SRAM cassettes which always come with a plastic sleeve inserted which holds the cassette together before fitting. They tend to be pretty tightly fitted and require some force to remove.

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
Hi
If its any help we build bikes with 10 speed SRAM cassettes which always come with a plastic sleeve inserted which holds the cassette together before fitting. They tend to be pretty tightly fitted and require some force to remove.

Thanks Peter,

I take it they look like the attached photos?

If so, is just a case of giving the cap in the centre of the lock ring a good whack?

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 61

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
May not be much help, but recently installed a Miche cassette which came on a plastic sleeve/support. The plastic cap/flange at the back of the largest cog needed to be levered off (screwdiver or knife) to allow the sleeve to slide out.

PeterD

Hi
Just push it out -- make sure you keep all the gogs and any spacers in the correct order for when you slide it onto the hub
Regards
Peter

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
whip off the lock ring and the smallest cog

apply a gentle tapping force to the sram branded end of the plug, say using a socket on an extension (obvs sitting it on an open vice or something so the underside is clear for the plug to drift out)

if that doesn't move it, apply a greater tapping force.

well it is what I did about 5 years ago with an SRAM mtb cassette than looked a lot like yours on delivery.

PeterD

Finally managed to remove it last night. A combination of levering it backwards enough with a screwdriver to get a cassette tool in and a gentle tap once the lock ring had been removed - it just fell out.

Good to hear you got it sorted .. have a good ride this weekend

Top Bottom