How do lock your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Just curious as to how other members secure their pride and joy when out and about.

Me, well I use a mini Kryptonite D-lock through the rear wheel in the rear triangle and then secured to something solid and unmoveable. You'd be hard-pressed to cut through the rim and tyre so I'm told. Currently my front wheel is unsecured but I think I may get a cable to go through it. All my valuables are taken off, lights and computer, Airzound stays on and sometime my MS battery if I am lazy. If a convenient object is not close enough I often resort to passing my lock through the seat stay, this gives me more reach although my rear wheel is now unlocked.

BSRU

A Human Being
One Abus granite 54 for each wheel to lock it to the frame, then an Almax chain to lock the frame to the building plus a motion sensitive alarm.

the snail

Guru
D lock through front wheel/frame, cable for back wheel. On club runs/audax just the cable - always more expensive unlocked bikes around.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I just leave the wife stood next to mine whilst going in a shop
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU6azVvb0c9HRFAipOBqzE78AT7FE2uW2tsKY9icXRmJgCb2R-cFJEdWzHxw.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU6azVvb0c9HRFAipOBqzE78AT7FE2uW2tsKY9icXRmJgCb2R-cFJEdWzHxw.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU6azVvb0c9HRFAipOBqzE78AT7FE2uW2tsKY9icXRmJgCb2R-cFJEdWzHxw.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 25

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
D-lock through the rear wheel and seat stay. Both wheels have locking wheel skewers. That should put off the opportunitist and the determined will get through most locks anyway.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I just leave the wife stood next to mine whilst going in a shop

Can i nick the wife instead?^_^
My commute bike is only left at work , d -lock, cable lock inside a locked bike shed with no panniers or lights on it or in the garage locked to a wall anchor.

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU6azVvb0c9HRFAipOBqzE78AT7FE2uW2tsKY9icXRmJgCb2R-cFJEdWzHxw.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 25

Rob500

I've only got one of those stupid combination locks but then again the bike never leaves my sight when out n'about.

Probably over the top but I keep the bike in the house chained to a radiator. Even when I'm in. :eek:

HovR

Über Member
Kryptonite D-Lock through the rear wheel and frame (seat tube, not seat stays - unlike others), to an immovable object. A Cable lock goes through the front wheel and frame to an immovable object if the bike is leaving my sight for longer than a few minutes.

Paul_L

Über Member
None of my bikes ever gets left unattended, with the exception of cafe stops on club runs.

At home, all 3 are chained via a heavy duty Oxford chain to a ground anchor into a concrete floor in the garage.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
1) D lock through the frame and rear wheel and take off the front light if it's for less than two minutes for a dash into a shop within ten yards.
2) For any other parking, as above, but I add a 10mm cable loop through the front wheel and strip off the wedge bag, rear light, frame pump, and computer.
I've never left it parked anywhere for more than twenty minutes unless it was within view. If they want it, they most surely will take it.

Top Bottom