How do the teams turn a rider yellow overnight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A rider wins yellow (or pink in the case of the giro) & nrly everything becomes yellow, bike, glasses, gilet, gloves overnight. How do the teams do it?

They've anticipated and brought the kit.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was actually thinking the same thing, and as the likes of the Yellow Jersey has the year of the race and the winning team's logo branded on it, what happens to the jerseys that remain unused?

Are they given away as Corporate 'pressies' by their respective teams? (I see some get signed by the winner), are they sold for charity? are they given to the team riders at the end of the event as souvenirs? (unlikely) or are they simply re - branded for next year? what!

And, do ALL the teams buy some? or just the teams that know they will have a good chance of winning one? and if it is the latter, what happens when some rank outsider team wins?

I presume there must be at least a few of each possible version kicking about in the back of a tour truck somewhere 'just in case'?

oldroadman

Veteran
I was actually thinking the same thing, and as the likes of the Yellow Jersey has the year of the race on it, what happens to the jerseys that remain unused?

Are they given away as Corporate 'pressies'? are they given to the team riders at the end of the event as souvenirs? are they sold for charity? are they simply re - branded for next year? what!

And, do ALL the teams buy some? or just the teams that know they will have a good chance of winning one? and if it is the latter, what happens when some rank outsider team that hasn't bought some wins?

Generally the organisation provide the jersey, and the team branding is hot pressed on. There are two types, tyhe presentation one (rear velcro for speed) and the proper ones. So teams don't need to buy them, but thye can sometimes have a supply of yellow (team branded) shorts for use if they believe their GC rider might take a jersey.
Everyting can be done overnight - the TdF is a massive organisation and can achieve almost anything - the race has a total of 8,000 people on it, and amongst them are the kit people, for all four jerseys.
Team bikes do sometimes get an overnight spray as well. Then a spray back when the jersey is lost!

oldroadman

Veteran
Generally the organisation provide the jersey, and the team branding is hot pressed on. There are two types, tyhe presentation one (rear velcro for speed) and the proper ones. So teams don't need to buy them, but thye can sometimes have a supply of yellow (team branded) shorts for use if they believe their GC rider might take a jersey.
Everyting can be done overnight - the TdF is a massive organisation and can achieve almost anything - the race has a total of 8,000 people on it, and amongst them are the kit people, for all four jerseys.
Team bikes do sometimes get an overnight spray as well. Then a spray back when the jersey is lost!

Or Polkadot, Green, White...

Will1985

Über Member
The kit is almost always pre-prepared....some early stages often have a particular rider's name written all over it such as Gilbert for stage 1 this year, and Cancellara a couple of years ago, so specially painted frames can be put in the truck. I'd guess the main GC contenders have some ready from the start as well.

Last year Merckx did a few frames overnight for Chavanel and Pineau which arrived with the mechanics at some ungodly hour of the morning, and I think Trek have done this in the past too.

It's not too difficult or expensive either for teams to get bibshorts made up in a couple of sizes before the race - I rather like the Garmin Cervelo ones with the coloured bands at the bottom. I believe jersey wearers must use the officially provided jerseys (which are screen printed overnight), and most skinsuits seem to be officially provided too - Horner complained about the flappiness of his at the ToC this year, and IIRC some of Andy Schleck's white jerseys never fitted properly.

OP
OP
Fletch456

Fletch456

Guru
Am feeling better informed now.

Shame the TdF org isn't big enough to keep to police the policemen - the commissaires. Or the UCI. People seem to have a hard time running sport organisations eg FIFA too in a way that doesn't cause controversy at regular intervals. At least they can change a bike and jerseys overnight.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks, it makes sense now!

Lastly, a totally different question:

I presume the tour is timed to miss the trains at level crossings, but what if there was some sort of accident/emergency/train failure/special working/late train, and half the group got caught behind the barriers. How would they sort the times out? would something similar to the 3KM rule come into play?

I presume that TDF, powerful as they obviously are, can't stop the SNCF specially for their race!?!?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks, I saw the clip and all, a freight train no less!

I wonder what the reviewed protocol is now? a timing amendment similar to a mass pile up or the 3km rule, et al?

Top Bottom