How do you feel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugbyluke

Im thinking of selling my aprilia rsv motorbike because of my new found love of cycling and buying a top of the range road bike. Does anyone just have a bicycle and no vehicles, do you feel restricted? All my friends are motorbikers too and go out all the time but I'm getting bored of it and prefer to get to places on my own steam. What do you guys think? Has anyone done this befor? Many thanks :smile: p.s no I'm not having a mid life crisis I'm 23 :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't drive, never have done and am proud of it. It doesn't restict me in my day to day bumblings about.

I'm 28 by the way, since we are announcing our ages on here :biggrin:

nosherduke996

Two years ago i sold my Ducati996.All my mates thought i was mad when i said i was going to bye a pushbike. I have now got a carbon race bike + a Marin mountinbike and i am loving every minute i can get out on them. Currently doing 150 miles a week and have never felt better at the age of 55

MarkF

Guru
Hmm at 23 I'd like to have a m/bike. However at 42 I sold my last m/bike as I enjoyed cycling so much it was not getting the use, I'd previously downsized from XJR1200 all the way to a DR350 trailie. I missed not having one tho' and eventually ended up with this, not much faster than my cycle. Great fun and super cheap to own, I still miss not having a m/bike tho' I definitely wouldn't do without at your age.

or2.jpg

fimm

Veteran
I passed my test aged 18 but I've never owned a car (I'm 38). These days my boyfriend and I manage fine with our bikes, public transport and hiring a car when we need one. My feeling is that it is much easier to manage without a car if you live in a city (as we do) and don't have children (we don't).

Im thinking of selling my aprilia rsv motorbike because of my new found love of cycling and buying a top of the range road bike. Does anyone just have a bicycle and no vehicles, do you feel restricted? All my friends are motorbikers too and go out all the time but I'm getting bored of it and prefer to get to places on my own steam. What do you guys think? Has anyone done this befor? Many thanks :smile: p.s no I'm not having a mid life crisis I'm 23 :smile:

Personally I would keep the motorbike, it's not like it costs as much to run as a car does.

I am in the middle of selling up on the car, I am rural too but I have parents that I can borrow the car from and its only a short walk to the village shop (bulk groceries online etc), not going to be easy... although you can buy cheap cars silly fast so won't be hard to sort one if I need one

Though, I am thinking of adding a moped or something to my line up.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I recently sold my beloved VZ800 because it wasn't getting any use. It took me a couple of years to finally decide to sell it (as DrSquirrel said, I originally planned to keep it as it doesn't cost much to keep a motorbike for occasional use). The thing was I'd ridden it less than 100 miles in the last year, and it just seemed a shame to see it sat in my garage, not being used.

Then again, we've still got a car, although I hardly ever drive it these days (we’re rural, so the wife needs it).

mark barker

I went car-less 18 months ago for the first time since passing my test back in 1991. Its certainly doable, but it does have some impact on your life. Before selling it I'd consider making a log of every journey you make on the motorbike for say 3 months. Ten look back and work out how often not having it would have been a problem.

Adasta

I have no other form of transport other my trusty bicycle and public transport. Mainly because, if I were to learn to drive a car, it'll cost me upwards of £5,000 atm (insurance, new car ect). I was going to get a moped, but decided against it because I don't need one. Then again, I'm only 17, no job only college.

If you find a girl (or boy...) who doesn't mind being picked up from home and given a seat on the handlebars, you're on to a winner.

In those heady days of college, I passed my test and drove a Rover Metro 1.4 Gsi. Lovely.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I still miss not having a m/bike tho' I definitely wouldn't do without at your age.

This.
I've owned a few "superbikes," culminating in an R1. I eventually sold it due to lack of time riding the thing but missed it desperately.
I bought an old CBR600 last Year, and ownly used it a handful of times but it's there if I want it, and satisfies an urge :biggrin: It's also cheap as chips, less than £100.00 a Year to insure and the VED is negilgable too, really.

I m/cycles are in your blood, then I think you'd miss yours, especially an RSV :wub: but maybe downsizing is an option for you too if you didn't want to let go altogether? especially as (I guess) the insurance may be a little hefitier on an RSV than something like mine.

If you can, then have both. In reality, a nice carbon bike can be picked up for little more than the cost of a couple of major services on a sportsbike and the tyres are a damn sight cheaper too :laugh:

mgarl10024

Über Member
If you stop driving/riding full time, and so have no vehicle insurance any more, what happens to your years of no claims?
Do they....?
- keep accruing (I guess not)
- stay where they are (perhaps)
- get lost (my concern)
I'm assuming unprotected no claims.

Just wondered.

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

I'm so confused. I paid alot of money for that bike and hard for but I have lost the bug for riding motorbikes

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

It's just I can't afford a cycle helmet or cycle clothes so selling will make me able too. But I won't be able to get another m-bike If I do let it go. My girlfriend said what ever makes me happy

400bhp

Guru
If you stop driving/riding full time, and so have no vehicle insurance any more, what happens to your years of no claims?
Do they....?
- get lost (my concern)

Just wondered.

IIRC they become null and void after 2 years inactivity. This is based on my situation in the 90's so things could have moved on since then.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Do they....?
- get lost (my concern)

Just wondered.

They're valid for a further Two Years (IIRC) you normally have to write to the company to obtain the proof but after that time, you just loose them.

EDIT Ah, too slow, beaten above!

It's just I can't afford a cycle helmet or cycle clothes so selling will make me able too. But I won't be able to get another m-bike If I do let it go. My girlfriend said what ever makes me happy

If it's a funding thing then yes, flog it, it's just a bike. You can always come back to it when things pick up.
Obviously wait a Month first though, if you can, let the bike market pick up a little.

Or, I'll swap you my TCR Advanced for it ;)

Top Bottom