• Follow your nosw

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Follow your nose

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • Phone

Votes: 18 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You've not listed paper maps, the most commonly used navigation aid.
Sorry i don't ride with anyone who uses paper maps.:smile:

GuyBoden

Guru
Unfortunately this is not true, at least not in the developed world. I make maps for a living and sometimes rue the loss of paper maps, whilst being wowed by the latest digital maps.

Sat Nav is no good when there's no signal and you're lost without a paper map, especially in remote locations. Walkers are the worst culprits, putting the mountain rescue volunteers at risk with their selfish acts.

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Rescued-Reliance-on-Smartphone-Apps.aspx
"Venturing into the hills, especially the Cairngorms, which are remote and you may not see anyone all day, requires a good level of navigation. At the basic end of that scale is having a map and compass and knowing how to use them. GPS units and smartphones have their place, but only as a back up to the tried and tested methods of navigation."

"Mountain Rescue Concerns
Some mountain rescue teams have recently expressed concern that some people are venturing into the hills armed only with a GPS equipped mobile phone, in the hope that an app that works in towns and cities will work in the hills.

From the above information it should be clear about the limitations and benefits of the different types of apps available. And also clear from various sections of this website that you must always carry a proper walking map when in the hills."

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A quick reccy the night before on Google Earth if it's just outside my patch ...."Flatnav" if I'm far from home:
82.JPG

Pre plan the basic route with a road map. Fine it down with OS maps then use street view to identify the approaches to junctions. Once on the road I have a good idea where I'm going. I carry a map as a backup.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Sat Nav is no good when there's no signal and you're lost without a paper map, especially in remote locations. Walkers are the worst culprits, putting the mountain rescue volunteers at risk with their selfish acts.

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Rescued-Reliance-on-Smartphone-Apps.aspx
"Venturing into the hills, especially the Cairngorms, which are remote and you may not see anyone all day, requires a good level of navigation. At the basic end of that scale is having a map and compass and knowing how to use them. GPS units and smartphones have their place, but only as a back up to the tried and tested methods of navigation."

"Mountain Rescue Concerns
Some mountain rescue teams have recently expressed concern that some people are venturing into the hills armed only with a GPS equipped mobile phone, in the hope that an app that works in towns and cities will work in the hills.

From the above information it should be clear about the limitations and benefits of the different types of apps available. And also clear from various sections of this website that you must always carry a proper walking map when in the hills."

Its the same when you go out to sea, so many people on boats relying on GPS, and not having a clue about the old ways of navigating, But thats down to stupid individuals.
But it's really hard to get completely lost on a bike, i have never managed it, :laugh:
Am sure there will come a day though.:okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Street signs, my nose, and paper maps. Sometimes I wander along the route on Streetview (or similar) before I set out. It's a great way of jogging your memory when you have to negotiate complicated junctions etc. I don't carry any electronics.

si_c

Guru
Depends, on anything under 50miles I'll just memorise key junctions from the map and wing it, using road signs if needs be. Anything longer and I tend to put the route file onto my bike computer (Mio 505) and follow that, but I don't tend to actually use it until I'm in unfamiliar areas. It's got full maps on it too, so it can navigate for me as well if I need to get somewhere.

I tend not to use the track following element of the navigation though, I prefer to have one of the boxes on the screen tell me how far ahead the next turn is and which direction I need to go, less distracting I find.

I keep my phone as a backup, with OSMAnd installed with local maps available.

robing

Über Member
I use Garmin, Wahoo, phone and paper maps. The Wahoo is a game changer though. So simple to use either by plotting on the PC at home or out in the field on the phone using Komoot.

I've just got the Bolt. I already use ride with GPS. Is Komoot better, particularly out on a ride? Do you use the app and does it cost anything?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've just got the Bolt. I already use ride with GPS. Is Komoot better, particularly out on a ride? Do you use the app and does it cost anything?

I always use RWGPS if I can. But you can use Komoot on your phone out on the road and transfer it straight to your wahoo. It is something I must try, buy havnt up to now.

robing

Über Member
I always use RWGPS if I can. But you can use Komoot on your phone out on the road and transfer it straight to your wahoo. It is something I must try, buy havnt up to now.
You can just use the Wahoo app though, can't you. Go to routes and then take me there. It seems a great bit of kit so far, looking forward to trying it out. You can download maps for anywhere in the world. There's even one for Antarctica, if you so desire!

robing

Über Member
Hmm not convinced by Komoot. You can only send routes to the Bolt if you've unlocked the region for a fee. You are supposed to get a free region bundle on Komoot with the Bolt but I can't see how to redeem it.

Hmm not convinced by Komoot. You can only send routes to the Bolt if you've unlocked the region for a fee. You are supposed to get a free region bundle on Komoot with the Bolt but I can't see how to redeem it.
I'm pretty sure @vickster has had this working on the fly, without paying for anything.

(Komoot gives all users one free region, and after that you have to pay. Maybe that's the free region Wahoo is referring to)

Top Bottom