How do you......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
unclip from a fixie?

I have never ridden a fixie, nor if truth be known do I wish to, but having ridden clipless for a couple of years now, how do you unclip with the pedals spinning round? Is it just another thing which takes practice? How about stopping suddenly when a cager cuts you up?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Because your legs are being pushed around, its just like unclipping like normal. You just flick your heel out and your unclipped.
If you think about it, you will think its harder then what it is, but you just slow down, then unclip like normal.
When you stop suddenly you leg brake and use the front brake, then just unclip, all whilst shouting at the driver that made you stop.
The stopping if you havent got a back brake takes practice because you need to get good at leg braking. But once you do that your fine:becool:

rustychisel

trust me, you don't want to unclip - until you really really do. Then it's easy, slow down, slow, slow, balance, unclip rear heel and put foot down.

The single best thing you can learn is to unclip and clip in on both sides. Truly. Sudden and traffic light stops a breeze.

Joe24

rustychisel said:
trust me, you don't want to unclip - until you really really do. Then it's easy, slow down, slow, slow, balance, unclip rear heel and put foot down.

The single best thing you can learn is to unclip and clip in on both sides. Truly. Sudden and traffic light stops a breeze.

That makes it sound hard:wacko:
Just time it right, you dont have to be close to the car infront at traffic lights, you can stop a way back so that your feet are still in the right positions for pushing off, you just might not be as close to the car infront as normal.
Thats what i did anyway, now i just trackstand at traffic lights. You can also get abit or play if you bounce the back wheel and spin it slightly.
Or just do a skid and go straight into a trackstand:becool: Legs will be in pretty much the right place then;)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
When you do have to unclip it's an idea to always unclip the same one side only - saves any 'which foot?' confusion. Always easier after a time and you don't have to think about it anymore.....same as everything ;)

bonj2

I personally stay seated in the saddle and slow down.
I stay seated to set off aswell, as i find it easier to clip in again - does anybody else do this or does anybody push off from standing?

Joe24

_Ben_ said:
I personally stay seated in the saddle and slow down.
I stay seated to set off aswell, as i find it easier to clip in again - does anybody else do this or does anybody push off from standing?

I have to get off the seat to touch the floor, but i push off and get onto the seat, then clip in and stand up and power.
Well thats what i used to do, now i just trackstand, and move off standing up. I can do it sitting down, and in traffic i move off sitting down, but when im wanting to move off fast i stand up and power.

Just don't do any rolling dismounts for a while....

Joe24

dan_bo said:
Try a travelling bunnyhop on a fixed- thats a real test of coordination!

Doooooonnnneeeee:becool:
Once, and im not sure how, i didnt really think about it, i just did it. I was rising in a group aswell, and just did it over a hole:becool:

Top Bottom