How far do you cycle each day on tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben M

As you may know from previous threads, me and two friends are cycling from Bristol to Strasbourg, unsupported. That's around 700 miles of cycling.

I'm just a bit curious about how many miles other people do on their tours.

How many miles per day? For how many days without a day off?
How many hours per day (/ average speed whilst cycling)

Our current plan is Bristol to Harwich (~200 miles) in the first 3 days.
Day rest on the ferry.
7 days Holland to Strasbourg, 69 miles a day.

I think that our targets are pretty realistic. I'm just wondering what sort of distances y'all do.

Bodhbh

Guru
Last year I went from the Hook to Karlsruhe, just across the border from Strasbourg, so not so different a route - I think it worked out about 450 miles on Google Maps, but turned out to be approx 600 on the clock. Took me 10 days with 1 rest day in Trier. So it's not so far off what you plan, however I do wish I'd had time for another rest day or 2 or some more flexibility in the route. Then again, sometimes you need a goal to keep you going, it's all good.

Think my ave speed must have been around 10mph. My hardest, and hillest day was 95miles on the last day and took about 11hrs, with maybe a couple fo hours stops so not far off for the worst figure.

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

Bodhbh said:
Last year I went from the Hook to Karlsruhe, just across the border from Strasbourg, so not so different a route - I think it worked out about 450 miles on Google Maps, but turned out to be approx 600 on the clock. Took me 10 days with 1 rest day in Trier. So it's not so far off what you plan, however I do wish I'd had time for another rest day or 2 or some more flexibility in the route. Then again, sometimes you need a goal to keep you going, it's all good.

Think my ave speed must have been around 10mph. My hardest, and hillest day was 95miles on the last day and took about 11hrs, with maybe a couple fo hours stops so not far off for the worst figure.

it was Google maps that I was using for those distances... So it looks like our trip is a bit longer than we thought!

The other question that I forgot to ask is concerning maps.

The countries that we are cycling are:
UK
Holland
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany
France

What type of map(s) should we buy?/ where from? Should we buy them all before we leave? or get some out there? obviously if they are cheap then we can just throw them away if we're short on space.

Bodhbh

Guru
Ben M said:
it was Google maps that I was using for those distances... So it looks like our trip is a bit longer than we thought!
Yes, was what I found, leave some margin of error there unless you're really gonna plan everything perfect, which I didn't really do. I think I swung a bit far East at the start and a bit far West near the end, making it more of an 'S' shape journey. Plus maybe cycle paths I hit upon in Germany did not always follow the most direct route. I got the maps at tourist offices/petrol stations when I arrived, but no reason you can't get the Michellin ones off Amazon or whatever.

That's a fairly high'ish daily average if you're carrying full camping kit, though should be fine if you're reasonably fit. If you're using hotels and keep it lightweight it sounds about right.
I use Michelin 'regional' maps, a fiver each and cover a good area but with just enough detail for cycling.

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

Dave Davenport said:
That's a fairly high'ish daily average if you're carrying full camping kit, though should be fine if you're reasonably fit. If you're using hotels and keep it lightweight it sounds about right.
I use Michelin 'regional' maps, a fiver each and cover a good area but with just enough detail for cycling.

We're taking camping stuff, but no cooking stuff.

I'll look into those maps.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
100 km a day can be done fully loaded without dominating your day. There's time to look around and visit places. If you get behind you can put in a long day and catch up.

100 miles a day requires a certain amount of focus. Riding has to be your primary function, but there is time for picnics, quick-ish visits etc.

200 km per day is your day.

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

Well riding is the aim, we're not really bothered about the sight seeing aspect.

jack the lad

You could try working it out by time spent riding rather than distance. When I did LEJoG we put in a 'working day'. Around 8 hours from setting off to knocking off for the day. How far we travelled on any particular day depended on terrain, wind, how good the beer was at the lunch stop, other distractions and mood. We actually cycled more than we thought we would and finished early, averaging about 80 miles a day, but it varied a lot.

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

With the time aspect, we don't really want to ride at the hottest part of the day. So were thinking of something like:

9-12 riding
12-2 lunch and nap
2-5 riding and time to find a campsite

obviously that'll vary depending on where we can find to eat/ sleep, how hot it is, and how good a pace we've been making

Comatosed

Ben M said:
With the time aspect, we don't really want to ride at the hottest part of the day. So were thinking of something like:

9-12 riding
12-2 lunch and nap
2-5 riding and time to find a campsite

obviously that'll vary depending on where we can find to eat/ sleep, how hot it is, and how good a pace we've been making

A good 2 hour lunch break will definatly break the riding up and you'll get more distance covered over the day, that's what I usually find anyway.

Randochap

Senior hunter
100km a day is a nice round figure for loaded touring. I usually do that in the mountains. Occasionally do 100 miles on the flat.

Take a day off per week. Try to make that coincide with interesting place. Be flexible in that regard.

It is touring, after all.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
2 hours for lunch would be too long for me. Me and Mrs rich p average 50m a day and stop for a few breaks but I prefer to arrive at the camp a bit earlier to shop, drink and relax. If you get to the camps too late and find that it closed last year then there is less time for contingencies. Everyone has a different approach however but 100k for you lot sounds ok.

Top Bottom