How fast am I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

I don't mean this as 'look how fast I am!' ..

I cycled 24.5 miles in 1 hour 34 mins including a few minutes for chain coming off (so 1.5 hours)
15.5 mph average

This route is flatish for 5 miles, a huge climb over the Campsies (Crow Rd from Lennoxtown north of Glasgow) then undulating (sharply at times) for the rest

If I joined a club .. where would I fit in Miles behind everyone or able to keep up with the slower members?

I think my old club (the ERC) used to say you should comfortably manage 15mph before joining their club, you are managing much better than that and over a hillier route. Riding in a group will also gain you a few mph in terms of slip streaming and motivation, so the question will be can the slower members keep up with you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

I think my old club (the ERC) used to say you should comfortably manage 15mph before joining their club, you are managing much better than that and over a hillier route. Riding in a group will also gain you a few mph in terms of slip streaming and motivation, so the question will be can the slower members keep up with you :thumbsup:

I feel 8 feet tall now :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You should be fine !

Riding on your own is a lot harder than riding with a group where you share the work at the front like cars etc drafting.

Find a club that offers the sort of riding you want and work from there.My club has 2 groups that have a medium pace with an average of 17 mph and a fast group with an average of 20 mph .People only take turns at the front on the medium group if they want to and you are not expected to do a turn if you do not want to.No one is left behind with the medium pace group but the fast pace group will drop you after the cake stop.

I started with the medium group and i am really ready for the fast group but i have just had 2 weeks off so i will have to build myself up again before i have a go at the chain gang .

I don't mean this as 'look how fast I am!' ..

I cycled 24.5 miles in 1 hour 34 mins including a few minutes for chain coming off (so 1.5 hours)
15.5 mph average

This route is flatish for 5 miles, a huge climb over the Campsies (Crow Rd from Lennoxtown north of Glasgow) then undulating (sharply at times) for the rest

If I joined a club .. where would I fit in Miles behind everyone or able to keep up with the slower members?

If thats on a mountain bike that would be really fast I would assume. On a road bike I would consider 20mph on a flat in good conditions to be a decent speed, although that doesnt take into account the average for the whole distance. I done 35 miles in about 2 hours (less than 20mph) but the route had a few long hill climbs. Depends on your bike, load and riding position. I ride a road bike on the drops in skin tight cycle clothing and do about 22mph on a flat so I should be able to ride a decent pace. Would be considerably faster but I get pissed a lot too.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If thats on a mountain bike that would be really fast I would assume. On a road bike I would consider 20mph on a flat in good conditions to be a decent speed, although that doesnt take into account the average for the whole distance. I done 35 miles in about 2 hours (less than 20mph) but the route had a few long hill climbs. Depends on your bike, load and riding position. I ride a road bike on the drops in skin tight cycle clothing and do about 22mph on a flat so I should be able to ride a decent pace. Would be considerably faster but I get pissed a lot too.
and dont forget age as well! A 22 year old will always ride faster for longer than a 50 year old. although in the case of Jenny Longo, she can beat 22 years old mainly all of the time, but then, she is the exception to the rule!

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

on a Road Bike Giant SCR2 which I believe is reasonable for quality / speed etc.
I'll need to find a flatter route and see if I can get my average up to 17mph

I'm 44 now so I think aiming for 17mph is a ambitious enough!

on a Road Bike Giant SCR2 which I believe is reasonable for quality / speed etc.

Thats not bad then! Also I had a giant SCR 1 and to put it one way, of all the bikes I have had (including motorcycles) the scr was the one I owned longest.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

OI !! im 44 next year :ohmy:

Our Sunday run was an average of 17.9 mph for 59 miles and i have only been doing any real distance riding for a couple of months so it is easily attainable .

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

OI !! im 44 next year :ohmy:

Our Sunday run was an average of 17.9 mph for 59 miles and i have only been doing any real distance riding for a couple of months so it is easily attainable .

That year makes all the difference CK!

Your time sounds really fast to me .. I will try first for 17 over 25 miles then see

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I would encourage people not to be put off ataining average speeds of 20mph + I managed to very easily double my average speed and my top speed with virtualy no extra effort whatsoever and with no training.

I have found that I can go twice as fast for twice the distance by simply addng 1 more magnet to my spokes in line with my computer sensor. I was amazed at the results but the numbers speak for themselves. I am now able to atain speeds that would alow me into most clubs and yet I am 40 years old and nearly 20 stone (and falling I hasten to add) so if I can do it anyone can. :becool:

gbb

Legendary Member
I would encourage people not to be put off ataining average speeds of 20mph + I managed to very easily double my average speed and my top speed with virtualy no extra effort whatsoever and with no training.

I have found that I can go twice as fast for twice the distance by simply addng 1 more magnet to my spokes in line with my computer sensor. I was amazed at the results but the numbers speak for themselves. I am now able to atain speeds that would alow me into most clubs and yet I am 40 years old and nearly 20 stone (and falling I hasten to add) so if I can do it anyone can. :becool:

One for the cycling equivelent of Viz methinks :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom