How fast can you do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
10 mins. Can do it in 5, but it's not something I like to rush as rushing usually causes mistakes of a tube-decompressive nature.

ChrisKH

Guru
Back wheel of a Brompton - about two weeks. (seriously, one of those can take half-one hour and it's very fiddly if roadside). Otherwise 20 minutes to half an hour. I'd rather take longer than necessary and get it right, than go 100 yards down the road and find it re-punctured, etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
5-10 mins. Did one recently in 5 mins - setting off for a meeting...bugger flat.....super fast change and I wasn't late for the meeting...

Uncle Mort said:
It always ends up taking me about ten minutes with a patch. Back wheel takes a bit longer than the front. If I'm stuck in the rain, it's guaranteed I'll have to do it twice though. I've tried the express patches, but they never work very well for me.

The Park Patches are excellent Mort - give them another go.
Are all you super fast swappers talking about unbeaded, or folding tyres here? My commuting Gatorskins 700 x 25 beaded (soon to be M+ :sad:) are a pig to fit but the Pro Race 700 x 23 on Fulcrum wheels are a piece of 'cakestop'!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...cool so I'm doing ok then...sehr Bon.

Two punctures over the weekend though, and I couldnt see any evidence in the tyres of damage/perforation...so i wa spuzzling over this for all of..oh at least 30 seconds....

..then i noticed the valves on the deflated tubs didnt have one of those screw rings on them...erm...could this be a clue???

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Probably takes me about 45 minutes but this is:

a) wrestling to undo the quick release on the wheel that some chap (Uncle James) has done up with chap-strength muscles
:biggrin: wrestling to get the tyre off the rim, being a semi-one-handed woman
c) putting tools away carefully and storing valve cap etc in safe places so I don't lose them
d) giving the repair glue plenty of time to cure as I don't trust my patching skill that highly
e) wrestling for at least 10-15 minutes to get the tyre back on
f) having to pump up the tyre in stages (being effectively one-armed makes this difficult, although I do now have a Cyclair pump which makes things much easier)
g) trying to remember which way round the little widget on my wheel quick release thingie goes when I replace the wheel.

I suppose I may get slightly faster over time but I'd rather forego the practice if I could!

tyred

Legendary Member
I have never timed myself but I suppose about 10 -20 minutes depending on many factors like how easy is it to find the cause of the puncture, etc.

Top Bottom