How fast do you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Just wondering how quick everybody is, so what are your average speeds on your commute?

My average is 11mph there and 13mph back, all over 4 miles. The route I use has some pretty big hills which tends to eat my average. Along the flat parts I am usually flying along at about 20mph.

Getting progressively faster, AVS of 13 now from 11.9 a month ago. Not a lot but then, I only do commuting and the occasional scenic detour at the moment since running is my priority until after the 23rd

5 mph.Well it feels like it...I'd say well it says 11.5 mph average but that includes walking all over Waterloo concourse.Waterloo Bridge shagged me tonight till I recovered from it and farting about at work all day.

thomas

the tank engine
On my old commute it'd be around 15mph I think....I managed just shy of 19mph once which was pretty impressive. I was in a real rush to get home so just went for it.

That's a 13 mile commute (not hilly, a little undulating).

My old old commute was 15 very hilly miles (could hit 40mph+ down a hill there and back) and that'd take about an hour and 10 minutes or so.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Averages are interesting to look at, but pretty pointless to compare.
Due to living in London and commuting during rush hour i have to be aware of the traffic and have to slow down to a snails pace at points. This means my averages can range from 12.5mph to 15.5mph but my true cycling average is around 17mph.

gavintc

Guru
17 - 19mph but I have a couple of 8% hills to get over that keep my average down. It is not till the flat stage that I can make up for the hill and get my speed up to 23-25mph. My commute is 23 km each way.

I second what gaz says...

Work is over 10 miles, nearly always under 35 minutes (total not moving), so ~17-18mph av for work.

Mostly rural, not flat and only 1 mile in town.

And it's getting better as I've only been keeping consistent mileage up the last few months. :smile:

The last 7 months recorded by my gps, minus the last month I haven't updated it, and includes a few rides out with other "non cyclists", says...
av speed 24.8km
av cadence 91rpm
av heartrate 165bpm
max heart rate 200bpm! (jitter maybe)

If I commute on the MTB I have a 16 mile route I use which is about 40% off road, my average for this is usually around 14mph.

On my roadie I have a 14 mile route (which i sometimes extend to 18 miles) and im usually averaging 18-19 mph.

But I would get hung up on averages, especially when commuting. Not only does it depend where you are commuting, but so many other factors can affect time.

GrasB

Veteran
Average commute speed over the last 4600 miles or so is 19.5mph give or take, it's nearer 20mph since I got my Boardman Hybrid... but that's on mostly open rural roads where I rarely have to stop due to traffic being so light. If I was commuting through the middle of cambridge you'd be looking at taking 5mph off that average easily.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm building myself up to being fit enough to commute the 12.5 miles to my current job. I did 10.8 at an average of 14mph. I want to be able to get to work still fresh and not sweaty or smelly (I'm a supply teacher) so I'm working o my fitness and speed. The last mile into work will be a long grind up hill to the school through the village the school is in. Idon't want "Get off and milk it". Or whatever the current abuse is to a cycling teacher. But I thought 14mph was good for a first effort over a distance close to what my commute would be.

Chrisz

Über Member
I currently average 19 -20 mph for a 18 mile run each way - both directions take in a fairly big, long hill. Winter times that drops to around 16 - 17mph

Top Bottom