"How green is your energy tariff?"

BoldonLad

Über Member
Does it matter which supplier / tariff you are on? When you change Suppliers / Tariffs, they do not lay new supply pipes/cables to your house, so, to me, that means you are receiving exactly the same gas / electricity as before, regardless of how it is sourced. ;)

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Does it matter which supplier / tariff you are on? When you change Suppliers / Tariffs, they do not lay new supply pipes/cables to your house, so, to me, that means you are receiving exactly the same gas / electricity as before, regardless of how it is sourced. ;)
But what that company pays for differs- some companies only buy energy from renewable sources. It's probably very complicated but I'm not going to try to work out at what point in the chain the differences happen.

OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Whether it matters depends on your philosophy towards this issue I guess, but what you say is largely true. As the article says:
"The electricity you use at home to power your appliances is the same as your neighbour’s, regardless of the tariff you’re on, if it’s delivered from the grid. It’s not possible to direct ‘renewable’ electrons to some homes and ‘non-renewable’ electrons to others."
However, as @Starchivore suggests, and as the article outlines, it's the pathway taken by the cash you hand over that helps to distinguish different companies' green credentials. Does that cash actually reach generators of renewable energy? Companies rated more highly in this area (by Which) "generate enough renewable electricity themselves to match customer use, or buy the equivalent directly from generators."

Last edited:

mudsticks

Über Member
Been buying electric from 'Good Energy' for over 25 years now.

Good to see they're still considered the gold (green leaf) standard for actually sourcing, and generating genuinely renewable electric, they invest in community generation as well.

No green-wash hogwash.

Their electricity seems to work just fine

It can occasionally make the kitchen smell of cumin , but pretty good on the whole :okay:

As someone who is a Control room operator at a power station, I will try to explain some of how it works.
The generator will offer an amount of Megawatts to the grid at a price set by their traders. For example 700MW/h at £50 a MW/h. This will happen for all Generators, the price will vary from generator to generator depending on the fuel or method used to generate the power.
The grid will buy the power from the best value source based purely on economics, indeed it has a duty laid down in legislation to do so.

OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Been buying electric from 'Good Energy' for over 25 years now.

Good to see they're still considered the gold (green leaf) standard for actually sourcing, and generating genuinely renewable electric, they invest in community generation as well.

No green-wash hogwash.

Their electricity seems to work just fine

It can occasionally make the kitchen smell of cumin , but pretty good on the whole :okay:
Me too ...

... although mine is more of a coriander aroma 😉

mudsticks

Über Member
I suspect some do indeed play rather loose and fast with the rules, so it then becomes a matter of seeking out those with whom you feel more comfortable. Like deciding into which box to place that little 'x' on December 12th 😉
Yup, always do your research.

And the first port of call is using less of these cheeky little electrons altogether.

Voting for someone+ who gives a **** about all this Green stuff on Dec 12 th could just help..

+ hint that's not the mob who've been encouraging fracking (until this temporary hiatus) or who have massive vested interest in Big Oil. :bicycle:

Top Bottom