"How green is your energy tariff?"

swansonj

Guru
I was not completely persuaded by Which's differentiation between Power Purchase Agreements and Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (they regard the former as broadly getting you into their middle "mid green" category but the latter relegates you to their lowest "pale green"). It seems to me that neither directly leads to any extra renewable generation, but both ensure that somebody somewhere is putting green electricity into the grid equal to the electricity you take out. Maybe I don't understand how the market works well enough.

Thankfully the electricity market here has a lot of small generating companies-quite a few towns own their own electricity supplier- and we were able to change to a medium sized company that generates their own electricity and actually goes out and builds windmills.

mudsticks

Über Member
Thankfully the electricity market here has a lot of small generating companies-quite a few towns own their own electricity supplier- and we were able to change to a medium sized company that generates their own electricity and actually goes out and builds windmills.
'Good Energy' in the UK
comes closest to doing all of above.

And they pioneered the approach back in the day, when only wierd hemp smelling hippies such as myself would countenance signing up to such a scheme.
:bicycle:

'Good Energy' in the UK
comes closest to doing all of above.

And they pioneered the approach back in the day, when only wierd hemp smelling hippies such as myself would countenance signing up to such a scheme.
:bicycle:
These companies tell similar tales. One was formed from a group of people in a small town. When they went to talk to the energy companies about how to save electricity, they were rebuffed on the basis that electricity companies want people to use more, not less.

So they found a way to take control of the town-owned supplier and changed it into Germany's first renewable energy company.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Yep, I've been with Ecotricity for going on 10 years. Unfortunately living in a housing association flat in central London I don't have the option of generating my own power. just lots of warm jumpers and thick socks to put off turning on my heating as far as possible...

mudsticks

Über Member
Yep, I've been with Ecotricity for going on 10 years. Unfortunately living in a housing association flat in central London I don't have the option of generating my own power. just lots of warm jumpers and thick socks to put off turning on my heating as far as possible...
Generating your own power isn't always the greenest or most economic option anyhow.

Installing solar panels or turbines or long power cables etc all have embodied energy costs, and losses in themselves.

Sometimes just plugging into the grid and buying the greenest option is better, and more efficient both monetarily and ecologically.

It's rarely so simple as 'this solution sorts everything'

Top Bottom