How hard is Ditchling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris.IOW

Hi, I'm doing a sportive in a few weeks time which includes Ditchling Beacon. I've been hearing horror stories about how difficult it is, however these have mainly come from London to Brightoners who were not really prepared for it.

So how hard is it for us more prepared cyclists? What sort of gradients does it have and for how long.

I'm not averse to steep or long hills, just like to know what I need to prepare for.

Thanks.

Number14

Guru
Light blue touch paper at arms length and stand back ......

It's long, it's relatively steep but doable if you get into granny gear and are happy to grind away. There's no real sight of the end which makes it a bit demoralising.

Wait for the next dozen or so who say it's a pig.

Some of the undulations on the IOW are as difficult although they're significantly shorter.

dodgy

Ditchling is often talked about because it features in the London Brighton ride, a ride with a strong representation from novices (which is good). These novices complete said climb then go on to regale their friends of its brutality.

It's approximately a Cat 4 climb, which is not that hard. But for a novice it's a good challenge.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For the 'more prepared', it's nothing to be afraid of, but nothing to feel overconfident about either- not one to attack unless you're a really strong climber. It's considerably nastier than Blackgang or Freshwater Bay (from either direction). It's more like several of your least favourite climbs on the IOW put together...The gradients aren't that bad in themselves, but they are quite relentless and a bit tricksy. There are one or two flat bits, but there are others that seem flat should you stop for a breather, but you then find aren't when you try and kick off again (found that out the hard way the first FNRttC I did). Moral of the story: keep going. I always make a point of stopping for a break and a snack at the greenhouses at the bottom. If you're OK with eating and drinking on the move (I'm not) then going straight up is certainly doable- just make sure you're fuelled properly either way. I'd recommend dropping onto your smaller/smallest chainring as soon as it starts ramping up, and keeping the pace fairly steady (KOTM types naturally excepted). If you have a compact or triple, you should be fine- 34x23 was fine for me on this May's FNRttC, I needed the 25 tooth sprocket on Saturday morning, in somewhat adverse weather..!

Oh yes: keep an eye for the 'horses' sign. That's on the home stretch.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would guess (from my one ride up this weekend) that it's mainly about 6-7%, rising to 10% maybe even possibly 12% in a few short places. It's not exactly Hardknott Pass but it's a decent hill.

Wikipedia says: -

The road then commences its steep ascent, rising from 90 metres above sea level to the summit at 248 metres in just over 1.6 kilometres (one mile), and sweeping from side to side and around a number of sharp bends across the northern slope of the hill.

Simon Osborne from the Indy described it as "about the same gradient as Mt Ventoux but 14 times shorter

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
if you are a relatively fit cyclist no problem. Just throw it into a low gear and spin up... as Stu said, attack it too hard and it will bite back.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've tried to a total of six times in my life, the last four times in the last year. I'm old and not fit. It probably didn't help that the last few attempts were in the early morning after riding for 55 miles or so. One day I will do it. I believe that the Beacon itself is only about 1.5 km long and rises about 150 metres. The hard bit , psychologically, is the fact that there are quite tight bends on the way up and every new corner brings another daunting view. I think that a lot of the problem is within one's mind rather than legs.

It didn't seem that way last Saturday morning BTW :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would guess (from my one ride up this weekend) that it's mainly about 6-7%, rising to 10% maybe even possibly 12% in a few short places. It's not exactly Hardknott Pass but it's a decent hill.
Wikipedia said:
The road then commences its steep ascent, rising from 90 metres above sea level to the summit at 248 metres in just over 1.6 kilometres (one mile), and sweeping from side to side and around a number of sharp bends across the northern slope of the hill.
Those figures make it near enough a 10% average gradient so if most of it is 6-7% then there must be some stretches way over 10%.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Steeper than I thought then
blush.gif

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've done it over 20 odd times since 1983 on L2B rides. First time up as a novice a few times on 42 x 32, then the most on a 73" fixed, nowadays on 30 x 25. I've failed a few times, once or twice due to fitness, once due to crowds. But mostly I found a line through the walkers.
Last Saturday morning on the FNRttC was my first encounter with this oft ridden hill without all the zillions of L2B'ers so I was very curious to see how it felt ....and I have to say, it is a pretty reasonable climb, but pretty easy too, select a decent low gear and relax, (had the weather not been so shocking I was gonna ride down and do it again).
As others have said though, it undulates which breaks rhythmns and it's difficult to figure where the top is unless you're familiar, having said that it's a pretty interesting climb because of that variation. Later on Saturday I was climbing Reigate hill which may or may not be as steep or as long, but it's a chuffin' boring grind.

Ventoux is another matter, I got nearly half way before the 100F heat got me. Averaged 40mph on the 22km descent though!.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ditchling is a bit weird. It is only a medium sized hill, so nothing special whatsoever, however it does have some quite nice bends on it, so I would rate it as a slightly tough medium sized hill. It is bend 3 and the penultimate bend that are much nicer and steeper - 18% or so round the bends and then comes down not for very long mind?. It has a few gaps in the trees which is also nice, but probably too many trees further down the climb.

As for sportives, I have no idea about them, maybe it would make it pretty hard.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's got little sharp rises that go to about 18%, but most of it is around 7%. If it's closed to cars you can keep an even tempo by weaving across the steep bits.

Last Friday's ride was probably close to the 40th anniversary of my first ride up the Beacon. One of these days it's going to beat me unless wimp out and go ten speed and put a 23 on the back. However...... now that Susie has conquered it, the Dellzeqq family honour is safe!

Going down it is fantastic.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Let's put it this way. We got up it on a steel touring tandem, without stopping, and without a breather at the bottom. Both of us are carrying more than we might. If you fail on a sportive on a blingy bit of feather-light carbon you might want to feel embarrassed.

(I think it's perfectly acceptable to fail if you're mortal and not on a sportive, incidentally - and the most awkward thing about the route on both my attempts was the motorised traffic. It's very impatient - with some reason. I can't help thinking that a one-way system for cars would be useful.)

Top Bottom