How hard is Ditchling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
you see, that's a funny thing. I have no trouble at all with that hill, 39/21 notwithstanding. I just take a bit of a run-up, and whizz up, barely pausing for breath.

Thanks Ian - that's the one! The pictures made it come flooding back.
If I attempt it again it will most certainly be with gears...

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Grid Reference SU172133
From Brook (just off J1 of M27) follow signs for Fordingbridge. After Godshill there is a turning on left for Blissford.
There is a car park just to the SE which overlooks the forest - on a road that avoids the steep section.

Very kind of you Sir
thumbsup.png

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Ditchling isn't really so bad, although I can understand why a novice might find it difficult coming at the end of a long ride. For more regular cyclists, the biggest problem is the repeated changes in gradient, it's difficult to get a good rhythm going.

A useful tip for those going in the opposite direction is to wait until just before the next car comes before starting your descent. Trust me, you'll be able to go a good deal quicker down all the little drop-offs and bends than most drivers. Following a car is a very frustrating and boring experience, I know, I've tried it a couple of times, the gradient is sufficient to overtake, but the bends make it too dangerous.

Hutch 75

Just remembered Downe Road is on the London to Hastings run next weekend, gulp. Did it last year and had to get off, have gone back since and conquered my demons, but the L2H is a real lumpy run anyway. Anyone on here doing it ?

Garz

Squat Member
indeed - ... which is the toughest ascent on LEJoG and it's way tougher than anything we came across in the West Pennines going from Bury to Blackburn.

Being based rather near Bury for the last ten years I can assure you that there is some tough ascents if you deviate. If you pick as LEJoG route I'm not surprised you would logically take a direct approach through the area and not incorporate the tougher sections.

OK anyone able to throw up a profile then as I'm sure the Rake would top it and that is between Bury and Blackburn?
smile.gif

bianchiblue

It can't be too bad if I can haul my 95kgs up it easily (but not quickly!) enough... Low gears though - 30 x 25/23/21 depending on which section but I've done it OK on my old standard double 39 x 21 too.

The Bostal road from Steyning is harder I think, 17% for a lot of it, can't see me being able to "spin" up that anytime soon - it's a right grinder!!

Top Bottom