How long are cheques valid for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bluebell72

I have just opened a book of poetry someone gave me for my birthday and there is a cheque in it - it was sort of tooked into the dustjacket, so I didn't see it before.

My birthday is in February!

Should I just bank it? V. embarrassed :blush:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I think that you are out of time.

It's six months unless printed otherwise on the cheque.

Strick

I think it's technically still six years. (But I had to Google it as I couldn't remember if it was five or six).

But after six months your bank might just tell you to bugger off!

I spent a fair bit of time anticipating an arguement with a bank over this, and also found the 6 year reply.
In the end, the counter-person didnt batter an eyelid, and it cleared fine. It was a cheque from an insurance company, but if it had been a personal cheque then I would have at least checked with the acccount holder before trying to pay it in.

ASC1951

Guru
It depends what you mean by valid.

If you mean 'when will the bank still cash it?', it is generally six months. If you mean 'how long is the drawer of the cheque liable?', that is indeed six years - because a cheque is a contract and contracts are (with a few exceptions) legally enforceable for six years but no more than six years.

So even if you have failed to bank a business cheque in time, the drawer still owes you the money and you can insist on a new cheque, albeit at your expense. In this particular case you may be stuffed: how can you admit to the giver that you thought so much of the gift that it has taken you seven months to open it?

OP
OP
Bluebell72

Bluebell72

I spoke to my friend, she is going to send me a new cheque. She thought it was funny - I was pleased enough with a book!

I had opened the book many times, it's a poetry day book, with a ribbon bookmark in it, and it was placed on the day of my birthday, with a photo - so that's naturally where I started reading.
I don't read poetry cover to cover, but dip in and out.

I fancied something autumnal this morning, but now I'm quids in :thumbsup:

Top Bottom