How long should a chain last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
OK so it is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but how long should a chain last. I have done about 500 miles on my current chain and I am told that is showing sign of heavy wear and that should expect to replace it in 150 miles or so. Surely a chain should last more than 650 miles?

It all depends on how you ride. If you ride hard the chain will not last long (I killed one in 450miles ish) doing that but if you spin lots the chain will last a lot longer as I am finding out.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
hmmm, my first bike, triple chainset, has now done 1800 miles, no chain issues as yet. The commuter has done 1300 miles and no chain issues, but is hub gear so straight chainline.

The triple has been ridden hard as I single speeded on it for nearly 400 miles and was well over 16 stone at the time.

MacB

spandex said:
I bet if you get a chain checker on all of them they will be dead!

which is exactly why I'm not doing that, when things start to slip then I'll replace whatever needs it at that time. I priced it all up and replacing chains every 600ish miles, to extend cassette and rings life, worked out more expensive than letting them all wear together and replacing en masse. This is only really relevant to the derailler geared bike the other will last a lot longer.

I suppose there's also the riding style, I rarely leave the middle ring and only then for the inner on steep hills. I haven't actually used the big ring yet. When I've thought about my rides I really don't change gear that much. Short inclines will see me out of the saddle rather than changing.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I really look after my chains, keep then well clean and lubricated and sit and spin rather than honking, I can get up to 6500 miles, yes 6500 in the last 18,000 + miles I have used 3 chains and only one cassette
ps all my rides are on country lanes covered in moo cow poo and mud so it pays to keep it clean

Bodhbh

Guru
Just getting a feel for it, but mine seem to go somewhere before 2k miles (both MTB doing mix of surfaces with change of tyres/wheels, cleaning "at least" once a week wiping down with oil and reapply). Been too slack with the measuring tool to nail down when. Ugh this is expensive business either way isn't it. KMC chains are just over a tenner? Deore cassettes about 30quid? Set of chainrings something similar? Then the BB...

MacB

oh yeah, and Mickle method used to clean chain, maybe once a fortnight if I remember. Mechainic at my LBS showed me how to do chain and guess what? he used Mickle method as well. Though I don't do the ride around bit. Basically just run chain through baby wipes and clean around the cogs etc. Then apply some oil and wipe off excess.

HJ said:
OK so it is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but how long should a chain last. I have done about 500 miles on my current chain and I am told that is showing sign of heavy wear and that should expect to replace it in 150 miles or so. Surely a chain should last more than 650 miles?
Who said that, I only get a paltry 1500miles out of a chain before I replace it. I've got one of those chain checkers and replace mine a bit early, I could get more wear out of them but probably have to buy more cassettes.

gbb

Legendary Member
HJ said:

What speed chain HJ ?

My 8 speed lasted 6000 miles...and i only changed it cos i got all paranoid :blush:
9 speed lasted considerably less...maybe 2000 miles.
10 speed i killed in maybe 1000 to 2000 miles....but i do push on, honk up the hills and never take it steady. All that stress is put straight through the chain. Spin more and it'll last more...maybe i'll try it one day :biggrin:

simon_brooke

HJ said:

It depends a lot on the chain, how it's used, and how it's looked after. Chains that are kept really clean and regularly but sparingly lubricated last a lot longer. Chains which are used in exceptionally muddy or dusty conditions, where mineral particles get into the bearing surfaces, don't last nearly so well. Good quality chains last a lot longer than cheap ones.

numbnuts said:
I really look after my chains, keep then well clean and lubricated and sit and spin rather than honking, I can get up to 6500 miles, yes 6500 in the last 18,000 + miles I have used 3 chains and only one cassette

Yes, this is my experience too. I have Campag 10 speed chains on both my road bike and my cross bike. In the past I've tended to change chains every year but nowadays I find I'm getting two years use out of them - even on my cross bike which is out in all weathers and quite frequently off tarmac. Clean and lube once a fortnight and after every wet ride.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
gbb said:
What speed chain HJ ?

My 8 speed lasted 6000 miles...and i only changed it cos i got all paranoid :blush:
9 speed lasted considerably less...maybe 2000 miles.
10 speed i killed in maybe 1000 to 2000 miles....but i do push on, honk up the hills and never take it steady. All that stress is put straight through the chain. Spin more and it'll last more...maybe i'll try it one day :biggrin:

It is a 9 speed.

Seamab

I changed my chain on the good bike to a KMC at the start of April and have done 1350 (dry) miles + a few turbo sessions on it so far and have not noticed any problems.

My previous Shimano chain lasted 2 seasons (no idea how many miles but a fair few) before i discovered a chain bath which cleaned the chain spotlessly but then started showing signs of rust soon after.

I now follow the advice on the KMC website with regard to cleaning which avoids solvents.

According to them chain wear depends on:
- usage (performance, shifting frequency, chain line);
- circumstances (terrain, wet, dry, mud, water, salt);
- rider's condition;
- degree of maintenance.
They also quote a range of 1000K for MTB to 17000K for road racing so 500miles is not much.

What make of chain is it?

Top Bottom